Why so many Crows???

I usually have 3 or 4 resident crows in the trees just beyond my garden...they are like the neighbourhood watch..If there is a buzzard or10 they go crazy allerting the neighbourhood.

However today I heard them and I always go and look just incase  I can get a good pic of bird of prey

God when I looked out the window my 3/4 had boomed to about 40/50

I no it dont look that many but if you zoom in you will see them all

I had to go outside...the noise was intense!!

i was surrounded

Surely they hadnt all gathered to salute the flyby Geese!

Well it was an intense 20 mins or so before they all dispersed and it all went quiet

Any ideas why so many gathered...there was no fighting, no bird of prey that I could see either

• Hi Linda, I think their roosting sights can hold dozens; even near our new place there is a huge communal roost which look like Rooks although I have seen Jackdaws and Crows too.
  • OMG thats all I need...neighbours will blame me Hushed
    I have seen some maggies and jackdaws come when the crows call out but that was like an army today!!

Thanks for your reply Hazel but can I get a different answer like it was just a daytrip or something lol
  • lol Linda, you will have to keep an eye open at dusk and see if they start to head into the trees as that would probably be their roost for the night. Corvid will also group en-masse if they are chasing (for example) a Buzzard away as the alarm call goes out and other corvids come to the chasing off party ! Hopefully this was only a moment like that and not a communal roost but time will tell.
  • Thanks Hazel. Its usually only the maggies that are hopping about the trees at dusk but maybe there is a roost further in the woodland and they just came to mine for a AGM lol. Yeah I have seen them call out before if there is a threat in the area but never been that many turned up maybe only 5 or so
  • I have experienced similar masses THIS YEAR, They appear morning and late afternoon,we have not discovered a true reason. We are on Dartmoor and there are plenty of trees, but these masses are unprecedented.

They were around throughout the summer and have since disappeared, and are NOT roosting in nearby trees.

I would hope that you will find the same that they will disappear all in good time.

I understand that these flocks are called a 'Murder of crows' they certainly make a racket..
  • Thanks for your reply Kate. In over 20 odd years this is the first time we have had soooooo many.
    I thought maybe there had been a murder beyond the fence maybe a dead animal or something but they didnt swoop down or anything was just like a mass gathering and make as much noise as possible!! I am sandwiched between 2 schools in a built up area that backs onto some woodland in Lanarkshire so surely there must be a better place for them to have a meeting! Lol

Hopefully it was a one off but shall keep yous updated
  • Hi Linda

Totally agree, something must be affecting them this year.like you never seen it in 40 years here, Normally just a small family gatherings
    I did also remember someone writing in local paper re this NEW phenomena.This year

Quite spectacular to watch, as you say no definitive reason,just zooming and swirling and chattering, because, we have a good vista, after they finished their antics above me, I followed their flight (visually) and saw them doing same over my neighbours farm about half mile away,
  • Oh I am intrigued to do some research now Kate thanks

As you say quite spectacular to watch...wish I had recorded it now but they were everywhere and then came the Geese aswell overhead....all quiet the now so we shall see what tomorrow bring!
  • When I looked into the trees and saw all those birds it reminded me of the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds. Lol
  • Wow, Linda, that must have been something! I'd love to see it--hope our area Crows choose to have a pow-wow in our large trees! So far we've only had a pair of Crows visiting us this year and they brought one juvenile with them in the summer, but the juvie seems to have gone off exploring because we are down to 2 again. They wander around the lawn together, pecking at tiny insects perhaps, usually within a foot or two of each other--awwww, so sweet. They cannot tolerate the Wood Pigeons and chase them furiously out of the garden. However, they do not need to worry about the other Corvids, though, because the Jackdaws and Magpies see them coming and flee. Our poor Jays hardly ever make an appearance anymore, sadly, they are sooo timid.