Bird

Can u tell me what type of bird this is please 

• It's a juvenile Gannet. What on earth are you doing with that. It needs to be taken to a wildlife rescue centre as soon as possible so that it can be cared for properly.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Agree, TeeJay. In the meantime don't let its beak get anywhere near your face - it could take your eye out.

How did you come to have this lovely bird?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I should have also said watch your eyes. People have been blinded by handling Gannets.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Yes I know rescued it off the beach, will phone somewhere tomorrow see if someone can take it. Just kept toppling over didn’t seem to be able to walk or fly
  • I'm glad your kind act hasn't resulted in injury for you. I hope somewhere can take it, as they are not an easy bird to care for.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Have you managed to get help for the Gannet, Jolc5?
    Thank you for caring

Cin J

• Yes someone came out from the sspca and took It away to get checked by a vet in Alloa, so hopefully it will be ok x
  • Good work, Jolc5. Thanks for letting us know. From its plumage it looked to be a very young bird which I would have thought was unusual at this time of year. Most of its peers would have been much further advanced. Let's hope it makes it.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• That's good to know. Thanks for letting us know, and well done for caring for the gannet!