I have a nest made from earth and some twigs laying on the lower branch of conifer just above the ground. It is a tube shape and about 10 ins long tapering at the back end. Any idea what made this nest?

• Bumping this back up in case someone has any ideas...
  • its a wasps nest! if you leave it alone long enough,the nest will die off naturally.if the nest is near your home,close the windows so they do not enter.the nest will last around 3-4 months but sometimes longer or not,if the queen decides to move.do NOT attempt to remove it yourself as it can be quite dangerous.Wasps return to their nest at dusk and remain their overnight. It is a good time to remove the nest, but this still has to be done very carefully. If disturbed, wasps will come out at night to get you.Open cans of pop, fruit juice, fallen apples beneath fruit trees, and other sweet food sources will attract wasps. Be sure to cover drinks and open food containers, keep a lid on the compost, and avoid walking barefoot near fruit trees. Remove any fallen fruit rotting on the ground.
  • I'm afraid internet searches are not always reliable. I don't know what it is but it is described as off the ground and I find it highly unlikely wasps would have managed to carry those stones up to incorporate them in the construction. In any case, social wasps would be seen sooner or later if it was theirs as they are constantly in and out except in bad weather. Solitary wasps couldn't build anything that size.
    I suspect it's likely a small rodent (mouse) nest with the earth just pulled in with the plant material they normally use, although that is a bit of a guess.