Rescued Hedgehog passed away

I rescued a hedgehog yesterday and he passed away at some point in the night. I’m gutted and really need to know if it was something I have done while caring for him. I put him in the shed in a box with a hot water bottle from 11pm would it have been too cold for him in there? Also I removed a tick from him and am now worries that it may have regurgitated the blood. Would this have killed him so quickly if he had been poisoned or infected by the tick regurgitating? So upset I couldn’t save him at really need to know if this was my fault or not. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate you getting in contact. Thanks in advance 

• I think it would be helpful to state what you rescued the hedgehog from, and why it needed to be put in the shed with a hot water bottle. As it was posted during the night, please can you confirm which country you are in as well.
  • I rescued it after calling an advice line after spotting it out during the day on a dog walk. I’m in the UK and it was suggested I put him in the shed or garage with a hot water bottle.
  • You did your best by following the advice given ... was likely already very sick to have been wandering out during daylight hours, could have been internal parasites which overwhelm them very quickly! I had no luck with the two very wobbly youngsters I found in same circumstances last year ... seemed at first to eat & drink well but went downhill rapidly next day! Very sad for you knowing we would like to save all these poorly hogs but so often just not possible!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks for your reply. I think he probably was very unwell thinking about it just wanted t make sure I didn't do anything very wrong for future hogs I may need to help!
  • Hopefully as lockdown eases it will be easier to get these sick hoggies to a dedicated rescue centre where they have the required drugs available alongside their expertise ... or, in my case, a dedicated wildlife Nurse at my local Vets where they do everything they can to save lives but can end suffering quickly & painlessly for hopeless cases ... all for free too!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks for the extra info. Baffled about the advice to put it in a shed with a hot water bottle. As they feed at night, it would have been unable to, so presumably you fed it? If sheds in this area are anything to go by, it would have been pretty hot in there for it, even without the hot water bottle. Animals in this area would be struggling for drinking water. I am sure you would have left water.

Could well have been nothing you could have done to save it.