Blue tits nesting in bird box - nothing happened for 30 mins?

Hi all,

We have recently discovered a female blue tit is nesting in our birdbox that I got for christmas with a camera. This is the first day of building, the female was brining in dead grass to make a nest base.

all is well, but there has been no activity for 30 minutes? I’m worried that we may have scared the female away, as it is hanging iver our driveway and halfway between my bedroom (top tier) and a storage room that my dad uses as an office (bottom tier)

I have kept my left curtain closed as I have a boxed-shaped area that I have my desk, and the box sits just below my left window.

Is this normal at all and is there such thing as a blue tit abandoning her nest on the first day of building? we haven’t been over-noisily at all, we ‘ve even had a quiet rule in the room the TV connected to the camera is in (the storage office).

A reply would be very much appreciated as I can’t find any results online!

Thanks.

• Hi Ollie,    the blue tit will just be at the beginning of building her nest and won't lay eggs until May, one per day;   HERE'S a link to the timing and activity.      Very often birds may start to build their nest and for no apparent reason may then start again elsewhere.    I'm sure there is nothing you have done and 30 minutes is not a long time to start getting worried as she may well be away feeding and return to the box, sometimes roosting in it overnight.     I would just remain patient,  she will be trying to fatten herself up before she starts laying eggs which takes a lot of energy and effort.      Good luck and hope you will see some lovely chicks in June !      

• Thank you very much. Yes i’m looking forward to seeing the chicks!