Bkackcaps

I have had a blackcap visiting my London garden over the last two weeks and he can be seen daily, feeding on the suet balls and seeds which are available.

There is no sign of a mate and I haven't yet heard him singing.

What are the chances of him staying around and breeding or is it likely he's just passing through, albeit slowly?

And is a London blackcap unusual? I live between Brixton and Camberwell.

Parents
  • I have the same situation with a female Blackcap. She’s been visiting my garden everyday for a few weeks now to feed on the suet I leave out for her. I saw a male a couple of times, but I think she chased him off. She’s picky! I live in Ealing. I’ve seen quite a few reports of single Blackcaps so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m hoping she will stay and nest.
  • Blackcaps have been overwintering in Britain in increasing numbers in recent years. It's thought that the prevalence of garden feeding has influenced their behaviour. Also, I understand that research has shown that many/most of the Blackcaps in our gardens have migrated to the UK from central Europe. 

You may find this ARTICLE from the BTO interesting.

I suspect your Blackcap will not stay to breed and if it is from Europe then it will probably head back there. I've had Blackcaps in the garden in the winter (although not this year) but they've never stayed

• Blackcaps have been overwintering in Britain in increasing numbers in recent years. It's thought that the prevalence of garden feeding has influenced their behaviour. Also, I understand that research has shown that many/most of the Blackcaps in our gardens have migrated to the UK from central Europe. 

You may find this ARTICLE from the BTO interesting.

I suspect your Blackcap will not stay to breed and if it is from Europe then it will probably head back there. I've had Blackcaps in the garden in the winter (although not this year) but they've never stayed

Children
No Data