Fledgling blue tit unable to open eyes

Hi

We have a fledgling blue tit sitting on our front lawn but he isn't opening his eyes. Is this normal in any way, anything that can be done to help? Thanks.

Sam

• I can see part of open eye in your pic sam, is bird moving around normally?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Thanks for the reply. No. It was just sitting there but now it's kind of extending its wings and rolling about, then pecking at the floor a bit, then back to strange wing movements. Not using legs. Doesn't sound too good
  • Hi Sam,    Not a fledgling blue tit but an adult Great Tit.    Birds do an activity called "sunning" from time to time which you can read up about HERE. .   

post edit:   birds also do something called "anting" where they use the ant's formic acid to help control  parasites in their plumage, however,  although I know Blackbirds and Jays do this I'm not sure if Great Tits do.      Both sunning and anting are perfectly normal behaviour in birds so nothing to worry about unless the bird doesn't move off after 15 minutes or so. 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Thanks. Yep, i don't really know my birds. :)
  • But you're asking, Sam; it's the next best thing.

You have a close up shot; closer than, personally, I've ever got to a tit on the ground. Can you, simply, approach this bird without it making off, energetically, to cover?

All the best -
    Dave
  • Hi Dave, yes, right up to him. He flaps and rolls a bit but that's it. he is now in a cardboard box full of hay, under a tree, with a mini fat ball that he's been pecking at. We'll see how he fairs i guess, need to just keep him out the way of prowling cats.
  • Good luck with the fellow Sam, hope he will be okay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Sam, just catching up with your latest reply, sorry to hear the bird seems unable to fly, I hadn't realised you could walk straight up to it so it does sound in a bad way, Fingers crossed for it; if it is still alive in the morning perhaps you can see if your local vet can take a look at it as some will offer free service for wildlife; I have taken a bird to my local vet in the past (who didn't charge any fee) although sadly he had to put it to sleep but at least it didn't suffer any longer. I hope you have a better outcome.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Morning Sam.
    Well, that doesn't sound so good for that bird. If you can just approach him or her like that, without your intervention the bird wouldn't last the day.

Always difficult, these situations.

All the best -
    Dave
  • Well perhaps good news. Bird was hissing at me and showing much more alertness last night. Moved box to the shed which has a gap in at the bottom big enough for bird to get out if it got out of the box. This morning no bird, no feathers or sign of struggle, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help everyone.