Bird repellent. Neighbours have just put out a very audible high pitched oscillator to banish birds. They’ve pointed it at our garden? Is this legal? It’s incredibly annoying for us...plus all the birds have gone from our garden

• Bird repellent. Neighbours have just put out a very audible high pitched oscillator to banish birds. They’ve pointed it at our garden? Is this legal? It’s incredibly annoying for us...plus all the birds have gone from our garden
  • I'd be surprised if it doesn't constitute a noise nuisance - as Bob says, forget the birds. Find your local council website, they'll have a contact point for noisy neighbour problems (normally to get resolution for wild parties etc, but the same principles apply). Is it on 24x7? If so, that would definitely land them in trouble
  • Thanks Jo - it comes on around 9am then back in around 9pm. They position it on their gutter pointing at our garden. I’ll speak with them first then council. Good advice thanks
  • I'll echo the comments from the others, talk to the neighbour first, see what their objection(s) are. It might be something simple that can be overcome easily, or it might be like many folk today, they've become very disconnected to nature, a sad sign of the times.

If all else fails, then definitely talk to the council Environmental Services dept, they usually handle noise concerns.

If you feel that is going nowhere, contact the RSPB direct, local Wildlife Trust and a few others may be able to give guidance.