Possible Great Tit nest problem

Hi

I've just opened our garden tumbler composter and have disturbed what I am pretty sure, was a Great Tit which flew out as I opened the lid.

It has made its little nest, complete with about 6 white speckled eggs (that were visable but maybe more) in some moss & dog hair on top of the vegetable matter whilst we've been away.

My question is....the holes in the side through which the Great Tit has gained access are at the top near the lid. The composter is only half full so the holes are quite a way from the nest. Are the baby birds stong enough to be able to negociate the flight required to fly directly to the hole from inside being so far down or have the parents made an error of judgement as to where they've chosen to nest??

Apologies if its a silly question! Photo attached is a similar composter to ours as I don't want to disturb them by going close again.

Thanks so much!

• Thanks for replying.

The composter is in a shady spot behind our shed so not in full sun thankfully. I've left the lid on exactly as it was for the moment as was concerned the bird might desert the nest - would it be better for me to remove it do you think?
  • Luckily I don't think the weather is going to change until next weekend. The contents inside will be quite old/dry as I've been using a different composter up until now and its screened from the morning sun by a hedge/shed. It has dappled afternoon sun so I'll move the composter back a bit tomorrow so its in complete shade and hope that the parent bird returns to the nest. If the daytime temperatures rise, I'll think again about replacing the lid maybe.
    Fingers crossed! Thanks again!
  • That's interesting to hear Rob, generally I tend to use boxes with no less than 28mm entrance hole and in most cases use 32mm but I notice metal hole plates are still sold (and maybe bird boxes) of a 25mm size which can cause problems for anything larger than a wren or blue tit. I've found the blue tits don't mind using the larger oval shaped stonecrete boxes which I have around the garden for the great tits and nuthatches so I have often wondered if 25mm hole plates and nest boxes should be a thing of the past ? Hopefully this male GT won't decide to squeeze in but their natural parental duties are often so strong when it comes to feeding their offspring :(
  • Well Rob, at least your friends are aware of the problem (as hopefully people who read this post are about the crucial consideration about sizing of nestbox entrance holes) and will be able to change it over next season; Some of our wooden nest boxes have a removable part front section which you can add a different size panel/hole plate to but then again you would need special permission from BTO to change anything over during nesting season so fingers crossed for this male GT.
  • That's great news Rob, glad the nestbox was successful and there was no calamity with the adult male. I think we have one fledged box of GT's and another on the go in the garage eaves although I've yet to see any young yet. Maybe they've taken them down to neighbouring woodland. The BT's are still busy using one of the stonecrete boxes and another set in the wooden nestbox and feeding young constantly.
  • Hi - we were back from holiday today so lifted lid on composter. Only 3 babies left, all others had managed to get out. Could hear parent bird calling them so left lid off and the remaining three flew out within the next 5 minutes.
    Seems like the nesting spot was a sucess afterall!! Although I might tape up the holes next Spring to save the worry :)
  • Thanks for the update, that's great news Bobby.