Jackdaws - courtship aerial display

I was wondering if anyone knew or witnessed Jackdaws in an aerial courtship display and if it was typical behaviour as I've never seem it before and got me wondering !     They were flying almost in sync a metre or so apart,   flying one way, then back the other together some of the time,  sort of in unison.      I understand most pair for life like other corvids and maybe this is how they continue their strong bond or maybe result of a new pairing.      This was nothing like territorial behaviour,   it was beautiful to watch and they were almost sky-dancing.     Interesting !!      Was first time I'd see this with corvids (although I have seen them courtship feeding) so had to share and ask if anyone knew more about the Jackdaws courtship ?  !        I was so mesmerised by them that I forgot to take a video of it    !!

• Not sure I will see that again Alan as we've had corvids around in the garden for 9 years and its the first time I have seen this type of aerial bonding/display. Even a video wouldn't have helped as they were partially obscured by all our tall oak trees.as they flew behind them back and forth. Nice to see though, Jackdaws are dedicated parent birds with the patience of a saint when the young are pestering them for food. Can't wait for it all to begin as it's mayhem in the garden once young fledge !

• It wouldn't surprise me if it was some sort of courtship display. I've seen Ravens doing a tumbling display although I've not noticed Jackdaws doing it. We get lots of Jackdaws on my local patch and I think they roost together in the winter in quite large flocks. Now that Spring has come I really should take more notice of them to see if I spot the sort of display that you've described. I think corvids in general have quite strong bonds..
  • Thanks Tony, interesting to hear you've seen Ravens doing display and I think you are right with corvids having very strong bonds. I'll have to keep more of an eye on them but love it when they have the fledglings with them as it becomes quite commical seeing them flapping their wings shadowing and pestering the adults for food all the time LOL
  • Any comments on this observation sent to me by a very observant friend -

"I saw such a gathering yesterday 19 October 2019. In the distance over a low hill I saw about 100 jackdaws wheeling and diving in the air over the same spot for 30 minutes. It was like a beautiful dance with many variations. I did not see either the beginning or the end of it. Almost a year ago on 6 November 2018 I saw a similar gathering nearby over an open field. On that occasion I saw 100 of them 'dancing' for about five minutes (having missed the beginning) after which the group split up into four smaller groups which flew off in different directions. This was a surprise, as I had expected them to roost together - Michael, Hawick,, Scottish Borders "

Thanks. Malcolm (Galashiels, Scottish Borders)
  • Jackdaws do often roost together in large numbers. I've seen 100-200 come in to roost in the trees of a disused quarry, get disturbed, fly up again in a mini murmuration and repeat numerous times (there were two peregrines, a sparrowhawk and a kestrel all in the same vicinity), before finally settling. It was an impressive sight, but I've never had the chance to go back and see if it happens regularly there. I don't know why they might have split into separate groups, unless they were just taking different routes back to the true roosting site.