Raven talking to me??

I have a pair of wild ravens and a pair of crows that I spend time with, the bolder of the raven pair comes and stands near us and bobs his head, clicks his beak and makes a quiet noise that sounds like a child saying MUM until I give him some food - what is he/she saying really?

I love watching the interaction between them and the crows, but this is something I have only seen him/her do when he is on his own near me.

• It does seem like the Raven has got you well trained! Hope you continue to enjoy the experience all the same.
  • A "tame" Raven made the local news last year when he started to talk to visitors at Knaresborough castle in a Yorkshire accent. I think the lady in charge held the title of keeper of the Queens Ravens or similar.
    On a more serious note I have just finished reading a book by Jim Crumley ,the nature of Winter, and he describes having a conversation with a Raven while out walking so maybe you are on the right track.
  • I no longer have any doubt that he is talking to me, today there were no other birds up there for a while (very bad weather) and he found me , stayed about twenty feet away for a while, then starting nagging me! There is no way it can have been meant for another bird. However, it's just as well I don't have an audience, as being followed around by a big black bird calling mum, mum - must look a little odd!
    I never realised they had such a repertoire, I can recognise some of the calls now, but it's these very quiet talking noises that I've never heard before.