Scruffy and sick Blue Tit

Got a really scruffy looking "Bue Tit" ??  It was siting in the bird feeder with it's eyes closed.  I managed to pick it up with ease and it's now resting in a box on a heat mat,  Our concern is that it may have a disease and we're wondering whether it can be released.  We know it will probably not make it but if it may have something it can pass to the other birds.  Any thoughts?

• Hi Kevin sorry to see the poor little thing.
    It could have Trichonomosis and it can spread to other birds by them eating food the Blue tit has dropped there is more info here www.bto.org/.../trichomonosis
    As you say it may not survive if it has the disease, the best thing you can do is leave it in the box overnight with some food and water and see what it's like in the morning.

My Flickr photos

• The only other thing that might have happened is it might have had a lucky escape from a cat and is in shock and may recover overnight, highly unlikely but you never know.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

thanks Alan

it's snuggled into some pillow stuffing at the moment so we'll see in the morning.

been watching him in the garden for months now as he's always been scruffy and sickly looking

Kev
  • So we woke up this morning expecting the littel thing to have passed but there it was sitting on the fluff, looking up at us waiting to get out. We couldn;t justify holding it away from the other birds so we decided to put the box outside and open the lid. Sure enough it flew up and out towards the bush it always heads too. Tough little thing thats for sure. We'll keep checking on it and see what happens .
  • It certainly sounds a tough little bird, if you've been watching it for a few months I would have thought it wasn't that ill, it would certainly have died after a few days if it had got Trich.
    I also think you would have seen food stuck round it's beak if it had been Trich, birds tend to fluff up and look dirty and lethargic with it..
    Good luck to the little fella.

My Flickr photos

• Aw hope the wee Blue Tit will be okay, well done on looking after it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Sorry to see you have a sickly looking Blue Tit, may be an idea to put a little bowl with water in the box as if it is by chance Trichomonosis disease they do need to drink water. Small birds rarely recover from Trich but at least you are doing all you can to make the bird comfortable. The heat pad may not be needed as they often have a temperature. Good luck and hope this bird is able to recover from whatever is ailing it.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE