Bird call identification request - possible goshawk?

I recorded this short fragment at about 6:45am (1 hour before sunrise) on the southwest ridge above Lake Vyrnwy on the 22nd October 2018. I think they are from a Goshawk - but I am not certain. Can you help me identify please?
  • Hi Robert

It sounds to me more like the classic "kuwick" call of a female Tawny Owl. Here's a clip of such a call with the "woohoo" response of the male.

brickegickel, XC405575. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/405575.

I've not heard a Goshawk call but the one given on the RSPB website sounds like this.

Patrik Åberg, XC27024. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/27024.

Feel free to wait for further opinions but I hope this helps in the meantime.

• Interesting to hear the different recordings, I would also tend to go for the Owl but am no expert, hope you get a chance for a sighting next time Robert.

• I'm no expert either but would also say female Tawny sound although a 2nd recording would be helpful if you get chance.    I saw this article on the area and it looks quite likely as they added larger nesting/roosting boxes 3 years ago which attracted species like the T'owl  HERE

• Thanks for your comments below! Here is one more recording (very short, but a little different) taken just a few seconds after the one above.
  • Well done Robert;   it still sounds like a female Tawny to me but see what others think.  

• It really does not sound like a Goshawk to me, a female Tawny as suggested by others sounds nearer the mark.