baby magpie

Hi all, I need a little help, and advice? not long ago I was working in the back of the garden on my project mini, when I heard a scuttling noise above me. in the neighbours garden there is a tall eucalyptus tree, and falling/flapping down was a baby magpie. as a pair had been nesting in the very top of the tree. The baby had tried to make it way back up the tree, while I stood at the bottom watching and keeping an eye out for cats(i seem to be one f the only neighbours that does not have a cat). the baby tried to make its way back up couldn't reach the high branches and came flapping back down landing directly on my head. I have looked at the tree and there seems no safe way to climb as the bottom is accessible but a huge non climbable void. my question is to you guys is?... what it the best food to feed it it seem quite old and figure it could fly with in a month to release, i found online saying worms and cat food? and how to feed it? ( i had picked it up for 2 mins and gave it to small chunks of cat food but the bird was more concerned with struggling not to stress the bird, i place the cat food in a take away tub? and over turned a washing basket on a old t ***, and currently on my bed. which leads to the next question... what is best to keep it in?
  • Oh dear Lali, sorry I have no answers but I am bumping this back to the top of the posts to see if anyone can help. Good luck.

• Hi Lali,   I have sent a message to a lady called Maisie who used to be on this forum as she is an expert on caring for Magpies and other corvids.     In the meantime, you could always contact a wildlife centre for advice on what to do ....    CLICK HERE;  which will direct you to your nearest rescue centre once you put your postcode in.    Good luck.

• Hi Lali, we've raised a baby magpie once that has fallen off its nest. We have put him in a very large cat cage so he could see around though most of the time he preferred being with us. A box with newspapers and straw will be fine for the first days. Line his enclosure with newspapers and straw so it's easy to clean.

Feeding: it will take just about everything.  Dog or cat food, insects (so suet pellets with insects/worms are fine if you have them, animal biscuits (soaked in water and well drained), mealworms, chopped dried boiled egg, chopped bones etc. Boiled chicken appears to be a favourite. In the wild parents will also feed youngsters mice so if it's ok with you you can also get frozen mice from reptile shops, chop them and feed them to it.

If it's too young chop the food finely and offer it to him every two hours with large tweezers. You can open his bill and put the morcels in it initially - it will soon get the message. He may be a bit 'upset' now but corvids are extremely bright, he will soon start recognising you and food. Don't worry about water at present - he is way too young for it. Note that if you 'talk' to it and get to spent time with it it will easily become imprinted and stay with you, mimicking whatever you do. Best of luck!

• Great advice from everyone so far. Magpies imprint very easily if you get them at an early age and as someone who lives with unreleasable magpies, they can be extremely hard work and demanding as houseguests (think flying toddlers!) so if you can get it to a wildlife rescue to be reared with others, please do. The food advice above is perfect in the meantime. Whereabouts are you?

• Thanks for your response Maisie and hope Lali sees the replies from Marina and yourself.    Bumping to top again !!  

• Maisie you are so right about the flying toddlers, lol! 

Lali - one more thing that occurred to me if you don't get a wildlife centre that accepts the bird - or there isn't one near you. If you have a large bird cage you can always put the baby in there and hang it high-ish, opposite the eucalyptus tree. The parents will hear the baby calling and come and feed it themselves. You can always check if they do come. Baby will also get to hear the other magpies in the area and will soon join them. Make sure the cage is indoors at night though as predators will get to the baby. That's what we did in the end to release our baby magpie - and it worked a treat.