Mid March, Radipole and Portland

Forecast grey and breezy but dry, so I risked it for a biscuit hoping for dancing Great Crested Grebes, Sand Martins that had been seen coking in over Portland in the previous couple of days, and maybe a Bearded Tit or two (but I was sceptical on that coz of the wind).

Overhead, in the car park, a number of gulls wheeled about, mainly black headed and herring, of varying ages

Across the far side of the first bit of water a Heron was looking for a suitable place to stop

Along the pathway various "woodland" birds were singing and feeding

Robin

Mrs Blackbird

Dunnock, more skulky than normal

Probable Chiffchaff, but warbler ID's not my forte

A different Mrs Blackbird gathered some material from the path, then flew into the trees

Around the Buddlea Loop, and on this bit of lake... "It was THIS big, honest"

A lot of Tufted Ducks were afloat

And the Mute Swans were unperturbed by me on the path.... uncropped portrait

Not sure if I've fluked a Cettis here.... (my 1st thought was Wren, but seems to be no patterning of brown)

Definitely spring-like flowers popping up

I wandered round to where the viewing screen is adjacent to the Sand Martin Wall (I still preferred the old North Hide), and a crow was shouting the odds

There were several Shoveller on the pools

And a few Gadwall keeping behind the reeds

A Little Egret was determined in it's stalking of the waters

There were a very distant pair of Marsh Harriers

A trespassing Whirlybird flew over

Whilst a group of four Dunnocks whizzed and flitted between the trees and bushes

As I crossed the bridge back toward the car park I felt I was being watched!

As it was still fairly early, and I not seen anything I'd hoped to, I headed up to Portland where there were reports of a few Wheatear having arrived, and the Little Owls had been seen day flying recently. I headed to the end of the Bill, where I'd seen Black Redstart last time I was there, but there was nothing to see on land. Out to sea there were Guillemots/Razorbills (too distant to discern by my poor eyes) and Cormorants/Shags, again too distant, so I headed around passing the lighthouse, wondering if I'd see anything.... Finally...a Pipit... Meadow by odds, but Water by Google Lens!!

More corvid action, with a very handsome Jackdaw

I headed across the green towards the Obs Centre, and flashing white movement caught my eye.... the back end of a Wheatear!

Looking very smart in their new plumage

I headed on to where the Owls had been seen

So with one one long term mission (seeing the Owls) accomplished I headed home a happy boy.

Thanks for reading and sticking to the end, and help with ID's is, as always, gratefully received

Stay Safe All

• That wis a successful day PB eh! How did you bribe the wee owl to wink? Lol...oh cmon is way to early to be asking for warbler IDs....av already forgot fae last year lol....
    Nice to see the wheatear...on the wish list to see with the owls and everything else!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to share ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks Linda.... I dangled a vole off a fishing line to catch the owls eye lol

Thanks Robbo (whoop whoop, running round swinging shirt over head, I got a warbler right) Joy