A Day at WWT Welney.

Having not been to Welney for many years a visit was long overdue and with the promise of a sunny day we went last week.

There were a great number of Pochard in front of the main hide, the vast majority were male.

Plus just a few female.

There were also quite a few Whooper Swans near the hide.

On one of the islands there were many hundred Black-tailed Godwits, too far away for a photo, but something sent them up into the air and provided a fly past photo opportunity.

Walking along to the other hides a Kestrel was hovering over the banking.

There were also a few Bewick's Swans about but very distant, I didn't know I had got a picture of one until I zoomed right into this distant shot when I got home.

Not a great picture but it does show the key differences between the Bewick's and the Whooper Swans, with the Bewick's being smaller with a smaller yellow patch on the beak. 

Back at the main hide for feeding time.

The Pochards were diving for the food and after a few attempts I managed to capture two resurfacing.

After lunch we went on a Hare walk. Sadly no hares were seen but on the way back we saw a Barn Owl some way ahead of us and it kept flying until we were a lot closer.

It then flew out of sight only to reappear, circle round and fly straight towards us with the late afternoon sun behind us and giving me my first ever head on shots of a flying Barn Owl.

Another feeding session at the main hide..

A total frenzy of Pochards and Mallards.

A Mallard coming up under a diving Pochard.

A great day out in lovely weather.

Best Wishes,

Trevor