Wildcats to return to Devon and Cornwall

Found this fascinating.

BBC: Wildcats to be released in Devon and Cornwall

I thought one of the reasons they die out is because they breed with domestic cats.

First question: Is this true?

Second question: How do conservationists try and stop this? 

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Why should conservationist stop this. The Devon Wlldlife Trust are supporting this. Until I know more about this, I will be neutral. The only way wildcats could be released in to the wild will be down the legal route. So until I know more, I won’t comment. But the Scottish Wildcat has the top protection in Scotland

Regards,

Ian.

• inews.co.uk/.../wildcats-reintroduced-devon-cornwall-countryside-653927
    This was known about in 2020 in this article and also was knoen as well in articles in 2019. So thid has been known about this possibility about the reintroduction of Wildcats in to Cornwall. Probably I'm in favour unless i heat definite evidence that this won't work.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hmmm, it appears you have totally misinterpreted my questions, which follow on from my statement.

I have read and seen documentaries which state that viability of Wildcats is compromised because they interbreed with domestic cats. The last remaining true wildcats in Scotland are in areas where there are no domestic cats.

Personally, I am over joyed that wildcats are being re-introduced into England, and would love to get a glimpse of one. I would also like Pine Martens and beavers reintroduced throughout the UK, and particularly into the area where I live; note: I will be following their release in London with keen interest.

Thus, to avoid any confusion I shall re-phrase my questions.

1. It this true? Wildcats and domestic cats interbreed and so compromise the viability of this species.

2. How do conservationists try and stop this interbreeding?

• Angus,it may be worth you looking onthe "Saving Wildcats " web pages,although they are involved with projects in Scotland there is a lot of info about the problems of reintroduction of these beautiful animals. Myself I would be happy to support these schemes and would love to see them back in Yorkshire one day

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks, Seaman. Answered many of my questions.

I took a quick look at a site. This FAQ touches on the subject

It confirms that hybridisation can be a problem.

As I feared, control appears to be trapping of feral cats, neutering them before release. Less clear on domestic cats. 

While this control will work in a remote release area, it wont work outside of it.

Still, would be great to see them in wild. A glorious creature.