Blashford in February... A lovely Place To Be!!

So yesterday, gorgeous weather forecast (after the mist and fog clears), coinciding with a day off.... where haven't I been since last summer, thought I? Blashford Lakes (Ringwood ish) I replied to myself. I often find that talking to myself is the best way to get a sensible conversation! Off I pootled, at just about 8am.

Before I get to the meat of this, it's another one of those "PB's not been out for a while and might've got a bit carried away" posts!!

From the car park, it's direct access into the first hide. and it seemed it was going to be a ducky type of day

Don't you dive when I'm talking to you!!

Mainly visible were Coots, Wigeon, Pintails (a proper scarcity for me, only seen one before at Slimbridge) and soe Tuftys

Blashford Lakes is two or three large lakes with several hides overlooking different parts, interspersed with woodland paths with one woodland hide with some feeders outside. 

On the way to the second hide, in a bit of scrubby woodland, there were lots of birdie sounds... let's play hunt the bird!!

I saw BD's post in Odds and Sods with his lovely Jay picture, and before yesterday I would have commented the same as everyone else, barely see them, if I do it's the back end... well... I had a treat!

And the Spoils of War :o)

Another bird I more frequently see the back end of... Nuthatch

And it's bad enough with impersonators!

There were maybe half a dozen Redwing still in this scrubby bit of wood... but they appeared smaller than the ones nearer home

More Nutty backendedness!

I left the woodland area back on the path to the hide, and thought this might look a bit arty... I do that sometimes!!

Whilst I was being arty I heard a Woodpecker drumming, and after a bit of off piste clambering I caught sight of the culprit

And whilst off piste, a wascally wabbit scampered away

I came back to the path and was merrily heading to the hide... some crashing and banging, and the immediate wish I didn't have the lens + teleconverter on... some deer were right in front of me, and I'm not sure who was more surprised, them or me. They were too close for pictures, but made their escape, and peering through the vegetation I got a couple of more distant shots

Overhead, a rarely spotted Whirlybird

Disappointingly, there was absolutely naff all to see from the hide, except some Tufty's about half a mile away, so I about faced after a few minutes, and headed to the hide that in the summer has the Sand Martins nesting next to it, and where Id seen Kingfisher last summer...

Yeah.... I'm watching you... weirdo

Apparently this roughage is good for me!

Not sure if neck stretching/retracting is courtship stuff for Pintails, but this chap was going for it with his lady!

I decided to cross the road, and head into the more densely wooded area, and on the way, fungus, about 2 1/2 inches across

Another Nutty impersonator, Coal Tit this time

Chiffchaff? Based solely on time of year and pointy beak

Another rarity for me, Siskin, as always a handy twig!

Even from the woodland path, one of the lakes is partially visible, and one of me old mates was having some exercise flying round.

Based on Robbo's "dunnockesque" definition of Thrushes... Song!

A rare Lichen Tit.... Ja, I liken zees blau teet (apologies to any German perusers for my awful accent!!)

At the Woodland Hide, with the feeders, I remembered the windows don't open, so the next couple are through the glass.... A bit of an oddity, Reed Bunting ground feeding

Robbo... Blackbird on a feeder lol (admittedly not a hanging one, but hey, it's close lol)

Back outside, and peering over the fence into the same area... Robin in the limelight

Nuthatch and Siskin on the feeder... usual nutty view!!

A little further down the path, some more Siskin action

And at last some Chaffinches :o)

And female

There are still berries to be had, if you know where to look!

In the furthest hide the windows opened and there were numerous Wigeon, Gadwall, and 40 or more Cormorant, mostly perched up in some trees....

Wigeon looking smart

Gadwall looking resplendent

A 2nd male came steaming across the lake, but the original two sort of snuggled closer together

Sporadically one of the Cormorants would take a lazy (f)lap around the lake, sometimes coming fairly close to the hide

Walking back up through the woodland, on the hide feeder GSW

Below the feeder, a squirrel was making hay whilst the sun shone

Lollipops had been heard all the way round the walk, but only fleetingly seen

I got several shots of the next fella, but with twig interference in almost all of them

And another twig lover....

Headed back along the track to the car park, more Siskin action, this time way up high

Not sure if this is Fungus or Lichen

A flash of white caught my eye...

And a final go....

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

And with that, my 2nd battery ran out, and I had to come home... thank goodness I only saw the one Kingfisher whizzing by, else I'd have run out of batteries ages ago!!

Thanks for persevering, and hope the sunshine brightened up those of you in the gloom!

Stay Safe All