Me and Mrs PB at Bempton

• In reply to Seaman:

Just been on their website, Pete, looks very good, with a large variety of subjects. Will certainly have another look for when we make our next foray north, thanks :o)
  • Now that's what you call a holiday....although I am a tad disappointed in you PB...where are the Dippers and Kingies you were in search of ??...still searching I guess lol
    Now added to my list of places to visit ...one day!
    Thanks for sharing you fab pics of your wonderful holiday ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Wow!

A fabulous selection of photos PB, and a damned good day out.

I'm with Hazel on your stweasel, plus i think stoats tend to have a lighter coat, but I'm also very likely to be wrong. Nonetheless, a brilliant photo.

Top of the list has to be the swallows, closely followed by the puffins. From what you say, the swallows were as near to head height as the swallows at Baddesley are. Sadly for the puffins, I'm hearing similar tales, not as many as expected, and it is a known fact, they are in decline and I understand the big problem is sandeels, which is a staple part of their diet.

Someone I know was at South Stack recently and said the puffins were not to be seen, though i do know there has been a couple of pairs seen there.

Not good for the wee birds...

As for the gannets, they just have that wow factor.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

They are a great bunch and Steve is an exceptional photographer if you go with them I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Puffins are not all that easy to see at Bempton even when they are present, we only saw two on the cliffs on our last visit. When we take people to see Puffins we usually go just down the road to Flamborough North Landing where you usually see them from the beach. Not in big numbers but enough to satisfy curious non birding friends. From report we have seen and heard Coquet Island has good numbers of Puffins this year

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Puffins are not all that easy to see at Bempton even when they are present, we only saw two on the cliffs on our last visit. When we take people to see Puffins we usually go just down the road to Flamborough North Landing where you usually see them from the beach. Not in big numbers but enough to satisfy curious non birding friends. From report we have seen and heard Coquet Island has good numbers of Puffins this year

You just reminded me, I've not looked at the puffin nest webcam on Coquet Island (the link HERE for those who want to view), for a couple of days, and just checked, they have a puffling.

For those going to South Stack, the best views are down the steps to the lighthouse, at least halfway if not further down, but not to forget the climb back up!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

We were looking over Coquet Island yesterday but we left it too late to book a sailing around the island. The Terns from the island were coming to Hauxley nature reserve to preen and clean up in fresh water

Pete

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    We were looking over Coquet Island yesterday but we left it too late to book a sailing around the island. The Terns from the island were coming to Hauxley nature reserve to preen and clean up in fresh water

That's a shame.

Could you not book online the day before, or even a phone booking?

That way you could choose your time and no rush to make too early a start.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Lovely pics there (weasel, linnet and looks good for silver ground carpet). Had my first trip to Bempton with the boy over half term (supposed to be on a boat trip but cancelled sadly) — love how close you can get to the birds, and bonus Albert too.
  • Envy you your trip over there PB, great to look through your photos and share the experience, I don't think I could stand the height so would have to stick to the Tree Sparrows, though they alone would make my day. :-)

Lot to learn