Trip to the Scottish Highlands Part 2

An early start on this day (4am alarm) for a trip to see a Black Grouse Lek. Unfortunately it was one of the few days of rain we had so the lighting was as bad as it gets, but at least the birds weren't too far away so at least I did manage some rather grainy shots. A wonderful experience.

Back at the Aigas Field Centre on the Loch we finally got a view of an Osprey. They have put up a nest platform in the hope a pair will adopt it as the bird regularly fishes at the Loch.

Grey Wagtails like the Loch as well.

Out on a walk, a Yellowhammer.

Heading towards the west coast, a Harbour Seal

Plus a pair punk like Red-breasted Mergansers.

A second rainy day with, for us from the south, a rare chance to see a Hooded Crow.

A second chance to see the Badgers and Pine Martens.

The Field Centre also has a Scottish Wild Cat breeding programme. Most of the cats are hidden away in a large enclosure, but this one, whose DNA is not pure enough for the breeding programme is viewable from a hide. He certainly looks the part.

A Dipper collecting food in Glen Affric.

Finally our last view of one of the Beavers in near darkness.

I realise I haven't put up any landscape pictures of the magnificent scenery, so perhaps I'll have to do that in a separate post later.

Part 3 will be about our travels around Grantown-on-Spey.

Part 1 can be found here if you missed it.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/280291/trip-to-the-scottish-highlands-part-1

Best Wishes,

Trevor