Butterflies and Moths 2022

Thought I would kick this years thread off with the beautiful Peacock  spotted today - I have had quite a few moths around the front door but not deployed the lights recently 

Edit: 2021 thread can be found here community.rspb.org.uk/.../butterflies-moths-2021

• Saturday 26 March 2022 Butterfly Daniels Brook Gloucestershire uk mixture of woodland and a Stream.  3:42 pm 

Genus; Cabbage White family 

This one was Tortoishell or Peacock but I didn’t manage to get close enough to have a look. 

• Your white is a first brood male Small White - Pieris rapae
  • Its the First species from the Cabbage White family that iv seen this year. This was the only one that stayed still long enough for me to get a close up. So it’s my first proper Close up of a Butterfly this year 

I saw 2 other Cabbage  Whites and they kept flying past me and the Tortoise shell or peacock butterfly kept landing on the path so I had to watch where I was going. 

• So far this spring I've seen Peacock, Orange Tip and Brimstone Butterflies around the garden, but I've only managed pictures of the Peacocks.

On a walk in nearby woodland a couple of days ago I did see this, is it a Green-veined White or a Small White?  I've never knowingly seen a Green-veined White before, unfortunately this one never gave me a chance to see it's under wing before disappearing.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• I think it might be a green veined White but I’m not completely sure yet so Im not going to say it is one for definite.

• Comma

im afraid this Comma has lost its wings but it’s still perched

• Thank you Zo,
    After looking at more pictures I am thinking it may well be my first Green-veined White, it was certainly the right size and time of year.
    Trevor
  • Hi Zo,
    I've just seen my first Comma of the year in the garden.
    Trevor
  • Thats ok.

in reply to: Hi Zo,
    I've just seen my first Comma of the year in the garden.

Cooll. That sounds exiteing.