A Couple of Hours at Barons Haugh

Was a lovely bright morning albeit chilly and with work getting done in the house this week I decided to go a wee wander up to Barons Haugh..hubby had to stay home and work so called upon my darling daughter who quickly agreed to join me as she had a day off..woohoo....new walking boots finally came out the box!

So upon arrival about 10ish was a few cars in the car park but no birds around so off we went down the path to the hides

Lots of lovely sounds on the way...could hear blue tits, great tits and a woodpecker...was thinking have they bloody followed me up here from the garden lol

We stopped near the bottom of the hill as we could see movement in a tree...

A couple of creepers

It was a 1st for my daughter so she was pleased

Bottom of the hill.... this field is usually a wild meadow in Spring (Am wishing it was Spring)

So into the 1st hide and absolutely heehaw!

Lovely sunshine though but a bitter wind also!

So off to the next hide...sun was blinding so it was hard to see and most birds were quite far away...

IDSs welcome as too dark for me to tell!

Even they looked cold!

It was really quiet no even another birder around so off we went to see if we could spot the otters and low and behold we found a few other birders by the river Clyde ....mmm wonder what they see me was thinking so we found a we clearance just before where they all were and a 1st for me....

Little Grebe well that's what am guessing?

And then there were 2...

And a Goosander

Mallard

Moorhen 

Goosander heading back up river

Dive time

Didn't see this sneaky buggar before or after I took the pic!! 

(Am guessing it's a Cormorant)

Socially distant Canada Geese paddle by

It seems all the action was in the Clyde but we decided to try another hide just behind where all the birders where standing, I found out as we passed they were all waiting for the Kingfishers..enjoy your wait guys I have them on canvas in my house heeehee

So up the steps we went into the hide and lots to see..

No idea what but its laughing

Teal?

Goldeneye 

And more with a tufty?

Black headed gull

My favourite pics of the day

Someone having a big splash!

Heron incoming

And a lovely coot

Time to call it a day and head home for a much needed cuppa...but couldn't resist a couple more shots on the river lol

And then had to stop again!!!

Mr & Mrs Bully having their lunch

Bird of prey...Kestrel?

And that concludes our couple of hours in the fresh air. 

Oh it was so so good to get out...sorry for all the pics but there was so much to see!

Hope you all enjoyed and thanks in advance for IDs  ;-)

• I’m told by those old enough to remember that they inspired a 1950s hairstyle, often abbreviated to DA.
  • I think my Dad had one, with the compulsory quiff at the front!!
  • Linda257 said:
    Thanks for IDs Mike...not sure a will remember them for next time though lol

I think the lighting on the river was just super and a couldn't stop pressing the button on the camera ;-)

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to remember than all, just enjoy what you do and what you see, and perhaps one that is distinctive on the day, take your book out and look it up.

You're far more likely to remember that one the next time, because it was distinctive rather than binge learn all the others and not remember any of them, and the next time, you might have another distinctive one.....

• Och a dont worry too much Mike, just happy to see whatever, take pics, and be out in the fresh air..although a dont think a will forget Little Grebe cos its a wee cutie ;-)

I did actually have a pocket book with me but a didn't realise that until a was home again lol

• Hi Linda,
    A lovely set from what looked like a glorious day of sunshine. I particularly liked the water birds on the golden water, a splendid close ups of the Bullies.
    Nearly didn't see this post, things seem to disappear down the list quite quickly if you're busy for a few days and don't keep up.
    Apologies for any posts I've missed lately.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor
  • What a cracking day out you and your daughter had Linda, and what a fantastic set of photos of all the different species. Maybe Jock did travel with you! Too many to pick out any favourites. Glad you had a nice day out in the sunshine. Hope the boots did the job and that your feet are not too sore!
  • Thanks Trever....no quite as good as your bullies against the blue sky but was nice of them to stop me on the way back to the car and they were pretty close which was nice...yes things can disappear quickly on here lol
  • Thanks CL....was nice to spend some time with my eldest. and she was squirrel watching for her Uni course so we both gained from out couple of hours out. Boots were fab and super comfy