A walk from Dunwich along Dingle Marshes with sights and wildlife aplenty.

Last Monday was forecast to be be the best day of the week weather wise and so it was, bright and sunny all day with little wind but quite cold. Suffolk didn't suffer too much from Storm Arwen, but one of the results of the Storm was a heavy swell pushing down the North Sea and quite a heavy surf running, for Suffolk anyway.

I hope anyone still without power gets all the help they need and all their services restored as soon as possible.

We headed for the coast again, Dunwich this time, and planned a walk north towards RSPB Dingle Marshes. It's a mile and a half walk with a good chance of seeing Snow Buntings at the end of it. The first thing that greeted us was the scene below looking north towards Walberswick.

Then a BHG with an itch.

That's got it.

Then a female Red Deer with offspring.

More of the herd dozing in the sun, the one on the left doing it's best donkey impression.

A couple of Great Egrets flew over the marshes.

There is a wide bank of shingle here with quite a bit of vegetation and lots of birds were foraging for seeds amongst it. There were Linnets, Skylarks and Greenfinches all feeding together in the same area.

What are you looking at?

A couple of Dunlin feeding in the shore pool by the reeds.

A Marsh Harrier on patrol.

You still looking at me?

A Redshank appearing to be distracted by it's own reflection.

The Greenfinches were finding plenty to eat. We were told later that they appear to have come across from the Continent.

A small group of Starlings.

Once you get past the shore pools the going gets quite hard work on the shingle so with the tide low we made good progress on the firm sand on the shore line by the waves.

Looking north towards Southwold.

Further along, more reeds and another Redshank

Then a Little Egret.

Followed by a Reed Bunting.

Finally the Snow Buntings, I'd gone past these ones and had the sun behind them.

A few minutes later and a small flock of 20 or so birds landed quite close to us, they were a mixture of Snow Buntings and Linnets.

The occasional territorial dispute.

Then more birds drop in.

Peace again, they would feed for a few minutes fly off down the beach for a little while then return.

It was then time to head back to Dunwich for lunch at the Ship. When we arrived we were quite hungry but were greeted by a "Closed for Renovation" sign. Plan B was the National Trust Tea Room at Dunwich Heath. No luck, it now only opens at the weekend at this time of year. Minsmere saved the day with an excellent Cheese Scone and a Curried Cauliflower Pasty.

A quick walk into the Reserve late afternoon. a Wren in the late sunshine.

Plus a Stonechat posing beautifully.

Even the waves looked better in the setting sun.

In the last of the light from East Hide some Teal.

A great day out that exceeded expectations.

Hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Trevor

• TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments and posting tips, I'll try them next time.
    The waves in the pictures are quite deceptive, there was little wind, it was just a very heavy swell from Storm Arwen funneling down the North Sea and producing unusually large breakers as they hit the beach.
    As for gloves I have a pair of photography/shooting gloves where the tip of the index finger and thumb peel back which I use when it's really cold but I still prefer to use my right hand bare if I can stand it.
    Trevor

You're welcome.

For me there is no real need for touchscreen gloves, though the odd occasion I need to operate the touch screen taking the glove off for a few seconds doesn't give any hardship, that's why I've never gone out and bought any to try, though I'm sure one day I will.

There are some key brands in the outdoor world which do eTip gloves, and they would be the first I'd go to.

Yes, waves can be very deceptive, and very often they are the aftermath of big rolling waves many miles, hundreds or even thousands, away.

• Smashing set of photos Trevor just right for cheering us up when we are feeling a bit down. It's not an area we have been but it seems pretty exposed which I find atractive quite a change from the moors we normally try to head for. I'm glad we are not the only ones getting cut off suddenly on the forum it is hard to know where the fault lies in cases like this. Being a non photographer I often wonder how you guys,and gals, manage with touch screens in outdoor conditions.
  • Hi Pete,
    Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
    I manage with my touch screen by almost never using it, I prefer the dials and buttons. In the winter when my hands get cold and dry I find that touch screens don't work very well if at all.
    Suffolk's shingle beaches and associated vegetation are unique, very open and nothing quite like it anywhere. I love it but also love the contrast of cliffs, moorland and mountain streams elsewhere in the country
    Variety is what keeps us happy.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor
  • Hi Trevor, I have finally had the chance to have a good look at your photos and they are wonderful. I love the close-ups and the more distant shots which give an idea of that beautiful coastline and the sediment-filled surf left from storm Arwen. Thanks so much for posting your pics and double thanks for posting them twice! As you have seen, others have had the same issues with posting photos on these threads, and I admire and appreciate the determination of all photographers for sticking with the task of posting on this RSPB forum. Sorry, I cannot pick a favourite, although Snow Buntings are pretty special. Perhaps it has something to do with their only turning up here coming up to Christmas so they seem to be a part of the holiday celebrations. They are cute as well and, like Goldfinches, they are living Christmas decorations.
  • Many thanks Ann,
    Your appreciation makes the effort all the more worthwhile.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor