Gamekeeper Fined

In this Article it seems a paltry sum for what was an awful event.

• Thats no deterrent at all, should be thousands & jail,
  • Apparently the law allows unlimited fines, and (I think I read) up to 3 years prison time. About time the powers that be started applying the top end of sentencing.
  • Have a read at Raptor Persecution UK website and read the comments to get a good view on this travesty of justice,. This offers no protection at all for our birds of prey.
  • Thanks PB things like that are bit beyond this old dinosaur
  • There is a word for that sentence and it certainly isn't justice. Throw the perpetrator in jail and let him/her remain without sustenance for double the time those poor birds suffered.
  • It makes me so unhappy Pete that nothing can be done to change the persecution of the animals and birds in this country. We used to be proud of British justice, known all over the world as fair and upstanding, and even now people fight to get over here because they think they will be cared for and not beaten and abused. What happened, why have we failed our wildlife, I have listened to debates in the house of commons and have been filled with despair, nothing seems to change.
  • There is a very big problem with the law and justice of this country.

First and foremost, money talks, and my limited persecution raptor  experience seems to be predominantly from the big money land owners, but as with everything, there are exceptions to every rule or observation.

Second, there is a big push to steer clear of prison sentences

Third, though the prosecuted person may have been acting for their employer, its the same as driving for work, the licence is yours not your employer so deviating means you get the fine.

The fine then is imposed on a means to pay basis.

Nearly seven years ago I was mowed down on a pelican crossing by a motorist who ran a red light while I was legitimately walking across the road, the lights were in my favour, the end result was I require major lower leg reconstruction and for two years it was touch and go whether I kept my leg or not. Today, I often feel I would have benefited from amputation and managing with a prosthetic, but that's another story, about money and cost to the NHS for ongoing clinic sessions.

The driver received a six month ban, no fine, no community service, no prison sentence. No fine was issued on the basis his employer had dismissed him so he was out of work and couldn't pay and because he was unable to drive for six months, his family could have put in a financial situation requiring support.

A compo claim was ensued, but because a change in the law, the payout was limited based on the sentence the driver received. If he had gone to prison or had a steep fine, I may have been entitled to more recompense.

One final story, while working as a security guard (I jacked the job in after 12 weeks, finding more suitable employment), I was involved in the apprehension of an 18yo lad causing affray and many other aggravated crimes. When it went to magistrates court, he was fined £300 (which was a sizeable sum in the mid 80's), and here's the crux, "payable when he becomes of fixed address"

• So sorry Mike for the complete let you you have suffered by this brilliant justice system.