A short walk on the sunny Suffolk Coast

Tuesday was sunny so my wife and I went for a short walk along the Suffolk Coast at East Lane then down to Bawdsey Quay on the River Deben.

Our first sighting was a Pied Wagtail.

Then a flotilla of Widgeon on the first Lagoon.

I think there are a couple of Gadwall amongst the Widgeon.

Then the first of a few Stonechats, only the female was up for posing but did an excellent job.

Further along another female Stonechat.

We had our lunch on the beach looking out to sea and we thought we'd seen a Cormorant diving but it was our first sea going Humbug Great Crested Grebe.

Later in the afternoon we were on the River Deben near Bawdsey Quay, the sun was low and we saw this Little Egret in the "Golden Hour" for photography.

Then a fly past of Widgeon.

A mixed group of Waders and Ducks, Mallard, Lapwings, Ringed Plovers, Black Headed Gulls plus one or two others.

In the distance a Host of Golden Plovers

Then we saw a Duck on the river that looked a bit different, definitely not a Mallard for once. The "Golden Hour" doesn't work when you're shooting into the sun.

But once I got a bit of an angle we could see that it was a female Eider Duck. I've only seen one in Suffolk before many years ago and in almost the same place.

Shooting into the sun can work right at the end of the day, with the cranes of Felixstowe Dock showing next to the sun

A relatively quiet day out bird wise but an enjoyable one.

Best Wishes,

Trevor