New Blackbird visitors

We have both been  doing more garden  watching  than usual these last few days as Chris had a positive  covid test just over 3 weeks  ago and really  not up to doing any strenuous birding away from home. We have noticed a recent  influx  of winter visitors in the last few days and wondered  if other forum  members  had noticed  any similar  movement. Things started  with new groups of Thrushes, mainly  Redwings, dropping  in feeding  for a few hours  then flying  off to be followed by other  groups a while later. At the same time we have been getting  small  flocks  of Blackbirds  into  the garden and now  we have about 30 birds all the time feeding  on local  berries  as well as using open seed feeders. Have  any of you guys noticed  any similar movement on you local  patches ?

• I noticed a sudden increase in activity , several days ago, mentioned to Hubby, that you would think it was Spring,with all the chasings going on CHOL)),they have also been pecking/taking, a much encrusted roof of Moss clumps,
    Whilst any grubs they discover,they also stripping several berried shrubs.

Do They Know something about forthcoming weather ,that we are not aware of , I wonder?
  • SunnyKate I have thought for many years that birds have a better weather warning system than us mere mortals
  • Robbo we have about 2 acre of grass, old fruit trees and mature hedges remaining from the old house that was here before our little estate of flats. Only basic flower beds and semi rough grass and the edge of the old college grounds alongside so yes it does feel like a small reserve. Maybe that is why we have not moved for over 40 plus years.
  • Wendy S said:

We have both been  doing more garden  watching  than usual these last few days as Chris had a positive  covid test just over 3 weeks  ago and really  not up to doing any strenuous birding away from home. We have noticed a recent  influx  of winter visitors in the last few days and wondered  if other forum  members  had noticed  any similar  movement. Things started  with new groups of Thrushes, mainly  Redwings, dropping  in feeding  for a few hours  then flying  off to be followed by other  groups a while later. At the same time we have been getting  small  flocks  of Blackbirds  into  the garden and now  we have about 30 birds all the time feeding  on local  berries  as well as using open seed feeders. Have  any of you guys noticed  any similar movement on you local  patches ?

Pete, I'm sorry to read about Chris, I hope she is well otherwise, and likewise yourself?

If it's of any consolation, while there is a bit of a twist, we've noticed an increase in bird activity also. The twist being, the feeders have not long been restored after removing them due to the appearance of a rat, which hopefully is well gone.

Also to add, there has been a notable temperature drop here (I keep weather data which monitors air temp and ground temp), not that its cold, just the normal process of chilling the ground ready for the first snow (often a very brief fall, but can be a heavy deluge), which usually appears here around the first 5-10 days of December.

• SunnyKate2 said:
    I noticed a sudden increase in activity , several days ago, mentioned to Hubby, that you would think it was Spring,with all the chasings going on CHOL)),they have also been pecking/taking, a much encrusted roof of Moss clumps,

Whilst any grubs they discover,they also stripping several berried shrubs.

Do They Know something about forthcoming weather ,that we are not aware of , I wonder?

You will have heard the term "The lull before the storm"?

There is a lot of truth in that, but not necessarily always a storm. Something I learned while working on farms back in the 70's, and those folk had no qualifications other than life experiences passed from parent to offspring over centauries, you can always tell when there is a change in the weather coming, the birds have a feeding frenzy then go quiet.

Today, we seem to have lost a lot of those skills, if it doesn't compute (its black and white with no shades of grey), then it isn't real....

Nature doesn't use computers, it works on what is around and senses the oncoming changes.

• Thanks for your concern Mike she is certainly on the mend and suggesting a short trip to our local reserve this afternoon which sounds hopeful as she is the driver in our family. Despite having two negative test results I have gone through the same isolation as I'm in that very vulnerable group. We seem to have had another influx of Blackbirds either late yesterday or overnight as whereas previously we had mainly male birds we have at least six females scratching about in the leaf litter this morning. Even our neighbours remarked on the increase in Blackbird numbers this morning all saying bad weather is on its way
  • Wendy S said:
    Thanks for your concern Mike she is certainly on the mend and suggesting a short trip to our local reserve this afternoon which sounds hopeful as she is the driver in our family. Despite having two negative test results I have gone through the same isolation as I'm in that very vulnerable group. We seem to have had another influx of Blackbirds either late yesterday or overnight as whereas previously we had mainly male birds we have at least six females scratching about in the leaf litter this morning. Even our neighbours remarked on the increase in Blackbird numbers this morning all saying bad weather is on its way

I'm pleased to read Chris is on the mend, and I was aware that you are in the vulnerable category, which sparked the concern.

Fingers crossed for you both.

As for the blackbirds, you may be like me, if you can't get out, then watching the garden (ours isn't anywhere near two acres, but a decent enough size nonetheless), does provide some consolation.

• "The lull before the storm"

"Nature doesn't use computers"

(For some reason I cannot use the 'quote' facility Grr!!!

Totally agree Mike,  the Gulls in particular are always spot on, with a 24 hour severe Wind warning, coming Inland for safety.

Tis truly fascinating, also a bonus , we have the beauty of unpolluted Night Skies, so we feel privileged  to witness Mother Nature at work.

• SunnyKate2 said:

"The lull before the storm"

"Nature doesn't use computers"

(For some reason I cannot use the 'quote' facility Grr!!!

Totally agree Mike,  the Gulls in particular are always spot on, with a 24 hour severe Wind warning, coming Inland for safety.

Tis truly fascinating, also a bonus , we have the beauty of unpolluted Night Skies, so we feel privileged  to witness Mother Nature at work.

It is, though here our skies are a dull orange!

I'm presuming you're aware of why I no longer wild camp or visit the hills and moors, if  not, please ask. 

One thing I miss, with wild camping out on the moors or hills and mountains, the seclusion, me, nature and sometimes a fellow camper. But always left no trace apart from the flattened ground where our tents had been.

• Our garden is a communal area that is tended quite basically by a contract gardener who luckily has great feeling for wildlife so no close cropped lawns and we have just 3 or 4 small flower patches a few residents tend themselves so generally nature rules