Beyond ID

• In reply to Shezkah:

Shezkah said:
    We have to find a balance in ourselves always, don't we?

I can't find fault in that.

Incidentally, the last time I really gave identification my all was a few years ago.

I'd gone up around 1,200 m to get out of the unbearable summer heat, and spotted a Pipit. I don't see many, so I really, really wanted to ID it (it was a Tree Pipit).

I thus paid very little attention at all when I was bitten on the foot by an unidentified, blood-sucking insect, and could think about "my" Tree Pipit to my heart's content for the next three days as I sat in the garden, my foot (swollen to almost twice its normal size) in a bucket of ice.

I like your approach to pictures and videos.

Dave 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

That sounds like a super special moment (ouch though for your poor foot!). I guess we have to remember that the priority is joy not to make work of it :D
  • In reply to Shezkah:

That's probably it.

Fortunately, no lasting ill effects.

Ongan  ath hang, akljhgg...

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Ha, ha, Dave! Apart, that is, from inventing a new language--Lol! But then Google translate thinks it is Hindi and gave me this!:
    Aanganath Hang, Aklazhag
    Who knew insects could inject a language?!!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I've always found wildlife and livestock behaviour fascinating, not just what they do, how they go about it and where taking in to account available resources.

The video Hazel was fascinating to watch, and some of he behavioural activities I see just in my own back garden are fascinating.

When I go out with the camera, while I will have a subject(s) in mind, I do keep an open eye for other activities, because nature never seems to be on parade when you want it, but other opportunities are always there, just sometimes you have to look a little harder or in a slightly different place.

I sometimes wonder if what can be defined as unusual behaviour is unusual because we don't see it but it is quite commonplace, and possibly adapted due to the localised environment.

Whatever, its always fascinating in my eyes.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Do you remember, Ann, the bloke on Saturday Live who ate it own brain with a spoon?

It was my tribute to him, a long-lost hero of comedy.

Gling Wok, Ann. Mumbro jjti. (The language of any UK city centre on a Saturday night...) 

Dave 

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    I sometimes wonder if what can be defined as unusual behaviour is unusual because we don't see it but it is quite commonplace

Agree with that 100 per cent Mike.

• A lot of what we only see when we deeply immerse ourselves is probably common but rarely seen, much like elephant mourning circles or deep sea eel dances. These things might be intrinsic to animal culture but we are not always invited. That is why seeing it has such an effect on us - we know we were privileged to be there.
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Ah, Dave, Saturday Live... So sorry, but telly played very little part in intermittent large chunks of my life. For instance, I was the only child in my year through the whole of my schooling who did not have a telly at home when growing up. It's a long story--although not related to the near-Arctic winter conditions there--Lol! My Dad made up for that after I left home; he bought two TVs and was able to watch two sports events at the same time, one with the sound off. He also watched old films avidly (but only one at a time!)--especially liked 'Brief Encounter'. However, I may have gleaned a tad more than, say, South American native Amazonian tribes living beyond the beyond in the 80s...possibly, although possibly not. But I would fail any quiz, sadly--there's a huge gap in my knowledge; one gap included the period of that show (had to Google the dates!). What was the bloke's name--either the actor's or the character's? I could catch up a bit.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• One of the most interesting short clips of bird behaviour I've seen in the last few days was when showing a small group round a local wetland and we were privileged to watch a Peregrine having a wash on the waters edge. After landing a couple of yards from the edge she walked to the waters edge she really started throwing the water about and we spent 2 or 3 minutes watching her. I'm say her as she was quite a large adult bird which we were aware of in the area, She may stay the winter in the area as there is a good supply of food. It was unusual in groups nowadays that there was not one camera among the group and mine was the only working mobile and that is so old it has no camera.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can