Goshawk?

Hi Folks, I live in the suburbs of Birmingham West Midlands we have a large garden with many mature trees at the end. Yesterday I saw a bird sitting on the outer branches of one of them. It was similar to a sparrow hawk but larger, very dark upper, barred chest sand a very noticeable white under parts. Of course after I had studied it through my bins I went to get my camera and when I returned it had flown! I looked it up and a goshawk description matched exactly. Could this be possible in this area? Thanks folks

• Not that would be considered normal Goshawk territory but I suppose not impossible if it was just passing through. Some female Goshawks are quite large and can match a male Gos. for size. If you are sure of hour sighting pass it onto your local recorder or group as others may have seen it so it would help confirm your sighting

• Thanks Robbie, I haven't seen it again, but as we frequently have a sparrow hawk quite close to the house-sadly have seen many a "kill" I am still sure it wasn't a sparrow hawk, if Goshawk unlikely perhaps it was some escapee. Maybe I will never know but thanks anyway
  • Yes thanks Seaman I have put a message on our local forum
  • Anthony, I'm not able to confirm or deny the sighting, however, I would take Robbo's response as pretty accurate, he is a good source of information.

Its that KitKat moment (you may remember the KitKat dancing panda advert), it always happens when the camera isn't ready, I've been there too many times before, so unless I'm due to go anywhere, my camera is always on standby. Here we have buzzards and sparrowhawks and once, a kestrel, but only the once.

I'll also say hello to a fellow West Midlander, I'm over to the East of Brum.

Another possible source for info could be the West Midlands Bird Club who might be able to help a little more.

• Hi Mike, thanks for your interest. Actually I am Marian Anthony's wife. Happy to "meet" a fellow Brummie. We are west I think, place called Cotteridge.I do most of the work on PC as Tony has poor eye sight. We are both in our mid 80's but are still as active as possible. Regards keep birding
  • Unknown said:
    Hi Mike, thanks for your interest. Actually I am Marian Anthony's wife. Happy to "meet" a fellow Brummie. We are west I think, place called Cotteridge.I do most of the work on PC as Tony has poor eye sight. We are both in our mid 80's but are still as active as possible. Regards keep birding

Hi Marion, and you're welcome.

I sort of know the area, after a 3 month stay in the QE hospital and the next two years until I was able to drive again, many times using the hospital transport I was driven trough the area as they picked up or dropped patients off to/from the hospital.

I had major lower leg reconstruction there after a nasty road traffic accident, hence the 3 month stay.