Red and Fallow Deer at Helmingham Hall Suffolk.

Inspired by Mike B's post from Charlecote Park I decided to visit our local Deer Park, Helmingham Hall in Suffolk which has been owned by the Tollemache family since it was first built well over 600 years ago and had Deer there since at least 1660.

Sadly a dull and cloudy but fine day. There are Public Footpaths crossing the middle of the Deer Park and the Deer seem to be quite used to people wandering about so they do nothing more than keep a close eye on you, keeping to the path (as you should) keeps them settled.

The first sighting was like something out of the African Plains, but with Red Deer instead of Antelopes.

The distinct feeling of being watched.

Then some Fallow Deer, one whose white spots seem to join up.

There was the occasional subdued bellow from some of the stags although I didn't manage to capture he moment.

Back to the plains look

Starting to relax enough to forget about us.

Keeping an eye on his charges.

2 Young Fallow Stags.

Shouldn't we be practising something?

Oh all right then.

Let's keep it fairly gentle.

Oh no, somebody's seen us, they stopped shortly afterwards.

A trio of posing lone Stags.

A fair well look as we headed back to the car.

A sight of something in flight, a Green Woodpecker landed on a tree a way off, but not too far.

Then back home for lunch, we will have to return on a sunny day.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Lovely, lovely set Trevor. Some impressive coat hooks amongst them!! And then sneaking in a beautiful green woodie at the end?! Super!
    Do the different species ever interact, I wonder? (Apart from Bob's white Fallow with the Reds!)
    Thanks for sharing :o)
  • Brilliant set of photos Trevor and always lovely to see the magnificent red and fallow deer and what a bonus to get a Green Woodpecker into the bargain too :)
  • Many thanks PB
    Mostly the Reds and Fallows were on opposite sides of the footpath with only the odd one or two youngsters mingling.
    Just as a matter of interest did you see my answer to your comments calling me DW Dipper Whisper in North Yorkshire Dales Part 2 , with some possible "tips" on how to see Dippers, they seem to work for me.
    Best Wishes,
    Trevor
  • Love the African Plain look Trevor, very atmospheric. I think some of those pics would end up on my wall.
  • I did, thanks Trevor...and also being near the right rivers helps lol
  • Fabulous photos Trevor, and I'm pleased you managed to have the fuel to get out and be able to share these photos with us.

I noticed one fallow doe had an ear tag on, but the rest seem to be totally free of the tags.

• Hi Mike,
    Many thanks for the comments.
    We haven't topped up with fuel yet, the Deer Park is only 3 or 4 miles up the road so we used very little fuel. The nearest fuel station is 8 miles away and we've not risked a 16 mile round trip yet in case we're unlucky. Reports are that things are improving here so hopefully we'll be back to yet another new normal on Monday.
    Helmingham Hall Deer Park is 400 acres of managed and fenced parkland. We have no idea why one deer was tagged but it was the only one we noticed, there are lots more deer that we didn't see so there may be more of them tagged. Perhaps it's just one they need to keep an eye on for some reason.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the comments.
    We haven't topped up with fuel yet, the Deer Park is only 3 or 4 miles up the road so we used very little fuel. The nearest fuel station is 8 miles away and we've not risked a 16 mile round trip yet in case we're unlucky. Reports are that things are improving here so hopefully we'll be back to yet another new normal on Monday.
    Helmingham Hall Deer Park is 400 acres of managed and fenced parkland. We have no idea why one deer was tagged but it was the only one we noticed, there are lots more deer that we didn't see so there may be more of them tagged. Perhaps it's just one they need to keep an eye on for some reason.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor

You're welcome.

Things seem to be calming down a lot here, when we did the weekly shop the forecourts were almost devoid of vehicles, and no cones out, no obvious signs of pumps not working, so hopefully things are back to normal here, and won't be that far behind for you (and others still enduring this needless mayhem).

• Wonderful photos, Trevor. Did you have to walk far to get them? I'd love to take Limpy there but he can't walk far.
  • Thank you Clare,
    Where we saw the deer was about a mile from the little car park by St. Mary's Church Helmingham. It's flat grassy paths following public footpaths into the park passing to the right of the Hall and turning left by a little bridge beyond the Hall. So a 2 mile round trip but sometimes they are visible quite a bit closer than that.
    Hope you can manage that, it's definitely worth it.
    Best wishes,
    Trevor