A week on Anglesey

Headed off to Anglesey for a week starting 17th Sept, staying in a lovely rental property on the Menai Straits which was so extensive that we invited our neighbours to join us and although it's that time of year when spring/summer visiting birds start to head out and still rather early to see the autumn/winter migrants heading back in it was a little quiet on the ornithological side, however, we did venture on plenty of walks taking in the coastal scenery so here's a pick and mix of the different areas we visited...

We were staying just a 6 minute walk to the pebble beach at Dwyran ....

the views from the holiday rental house looking towards the Menai Straits and Carnarfon Castle       

There were various gulls around including this handsome Herring Gull    (please correct ID's if wrong)

Ringed Plover 

lots of gulls .. no good on ID's in various plumages  !

Turnstone at Cemlyn Bay

tons of Cormorants on all the rocky islands 

still saw a few butterflies around including this small tortoiseshell 

Black squirrel at Dingle 

Fungi 

Cemaes Bay

next three are Cemlyn Bay     

Walk from Moelfry to Lligwy and back 

Lifeboat station at Moelfry

Puffin Island .... . we took a boat ride from Beaumaris although Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, etc,  were gone after breeding season;   we did see grey seals, cormorants and herring gulls

South Stack where the weather was well into the 20's and roasting ! 

1st time we'd seen a Chough 

Rock Pipit 

over 400 steps down ................. and back up   !!!    

proof we did get down there   !! 

a view to North Stack which is now privately owned

South Stack Lighthouse

Looking towards visitor centre from road heading out from lighthouse 

methinks   Rock Pipit ?

Lady Stonechat

not sure ..... has a Linnet look to face but could it be another rock pipit ?

as if I hadn't done enough steps when I got back up from Lighthouse island ......  I just had to head upwards     LOL    900 steps and counting !

That's about it as you've probably nodded off by now     - thanks for viewing even if you only got quarter way through   LOL 

• Thanks Trevor,   sounds like you've also had a lovely visit to the Dales with good weather unlike the changing forecast this week !   

TJS said:
    I'll post the results in the next day or so (warning, may contain Dippers).

Bring it on ..... love Dippers :)     look forward to your pics

• There is no getting bored with a lovely set of photos like this! Limpy and I managed to visit South Stack at the end of July, though (sadly) he can't get to the lighthouse.
  • Thanks Clare,   as you and Limpy will have seen, it has some wonderful views of the rocky coastline.    

Clare Bailey said:
    Limpy and I managed to visit South Stack at the end of July, though (sadly) he can't get to the lighthouse.

To be honest I think you can get just as much out of South Stack viewing it from road level and at the moment you can't even go in the Lighthouse;     At least it's one place ticked off our to visit list ..............  Minsmere one day  !!