Monday.... A Beautiful Brownsea Belter

• In reply to Internetman:

It isn't a mayfly IMO. As far as I know all the mayfly species in the UK hold their wings at rest in the same manner. Even fossilised mayflies have exhibited the same wing 'posture' (the wikipedia entry for mayfly has a pic of a fossilised mayfly). Mayflies were one of the first winged insects, with fossils dating back over 300 million years (www.buglife.org.uk/.../).

www.wildlifetrusts.org/.../common-mayfly
    "How to identify
    Adult mayflies are delicate animals with broad, clear wings that have a lace-like appearance, very short antennae and up to three very long, fine tail bristles. They hold their wings vertically, closed over their backs."
  • Yep, Robber Fly - they can be fascinating to watch hunting, I usually come across them on dune systems

Cin J

• What a super day out you had PB Even blue sky and sunshine!...Even a red squirrel! Grrr..I was meant to have an outing with my dad this week to find red squirrels and red kites but only managed a a couple of hours very late yesterday afternoon at Troon Harbour..Will post when I get time.
    Thanks for sharing all your wonderful pics. How dare them eagles and ospreys hide from you...get ursef back there soon ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Hi PB,
    Great set with a lot of variety. Loved the flight shots, especially the Spoonbills and would love to have seen the Red Squirrels.
    Shame about the Eagles, I've travelled all the way to the Outer Hebrides to see Golden Eagles and not glimpse one.
    Brownsea now on the must visit list (getting a bit long now).
    All the best,
    Trevor
  • What great sightings you had and a wonderful day out on Brownsea Island, yet another place to add to our list !
    Bonus to see the gorgeous Red Cyrils along with all the waders including the magnificent Spoonbills. Gong to have another look through the pic including the cracking photo of your stalker the Cormorant lol

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to tuwit:

tuwit said:
    It isn't a mayfly IMO. As far as I know all the mayfly species in the UK hold their wings at rest in the same manner. Even fossilised mayflies have exhibited the same wing 'posture' (the wikipedia entry for mayfly has a pic of a fossilised mayfly). Mayflies were one of the first winged insects, with fossils dating back over 300 million years (www.buglife.org.uk/.../).

www.wildlifetrusts.org/.../common-mayfly
    "How to identify
    Adult mayflies are delicate animals with broad, clear wings that have a lace-like appearance, very short antennae and up to three very long, fine tail bristles. They hold their wings vertically, closed over their backs."

Many thanks for the info. 

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler