Advice please

So after many months of umming and ahhing, Mrs PB and myself have a few days off and are heading Cambridgeshire way. A couple of you lovely folk offered advice on places to go and to stay. Currently, we are booked in for 2 nights on the WWT Welney reserve, in their cottage, with a plan for the previous two nights to be spent in the Cambridgeshire area. One day we will be going into ELY, and another into Cambridge itself, so we have 2 days and 2 nights accommodation to look into, so any local knowledge/thoughts and advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance :o) (and obviously some time on the reserve!!)

• If you're going to Ely you must visit the cathedral - and take the roof tour, if they are doing it. I know it's not birdy but it's fantastic.
  • Thanks Clare, the cathedral was already on the list, but hadn't heard of roof tour, so will deffo have a look :o) And possibly a bit of being punted in Cambridge (hopefully not as painful as could be imagined!!)
  • Cambridgeshire isn't an area I know, so I'm unable to advise too much, plus not knowing where you're staying makes it harder to make suggestions without the risk of too many miles to travel.

However, Titchwell Marsh just north of Kings Lynn (Kings Lynn is also worth a visit) is worth a visit and a little further south from Titchwell is Snettisham where Bob has been recently. I felt the coast path was probably the better to wander along rather than the marsh path. The coast path does take you to hides that overlook the marshes, both fresh water and salt water pools, and of course, the end of the path is the coast.

Of course, Cambridge itself is worth a visit, but beware, parking in Cambridge is expense and highly sought after!

Inland a bit, a reserve I'm looking at visiting sometime, and not far from Cambridge Services on the A14 is Fen Drayton Lakes, an RSPB reserve.

• You might want to check out Fowlmere, which isn't far from Duxford (also recommended!).

Titchwell and Snettisham are both highly recommended but they're a bit of a drive from Welney.
  • Thanks Mike, we've 2 nights booked in at Welney reserve, and 2 nights unbooked, waiting for you lovely folk to recommend places to visit and we can sort accommodation accordingly. Funnily enough I mentioned Kings Lynn to Mrs PB last night Grin.... I do have to add non wildlife stuff into the itinerary, hence Ely lol
  • That's more fab stuff thanks Clare.... What's the famous bit, coastal, south side of the Wash I think... (I'm at work at mo so limited research time lol)
  • Ahh, Snettisham and Titchwell.... Will have to work on Mrs PB to go to both plus Welney.... need some more brownie points, and non wildlife-y ideas :o)
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Ahh, Snettisham and Titchwell.... Will have to work on Mrs PB to go to both plus Welney.... need some more brownie points, and non wildlife-y ideas :o)

Mrs PB can enjoy the shops at Kings Lynn while you go to Snettishham, and/or Titchwell.

Titchwell is a 20 min drive from Kings Lynn, Snettishham should be around 10 mins.

BTW, when Mrs PR enjoyed Kings Lynn, and I went to Titchwell, we met up for a nice pub meal at Marriots Warehouse, a lovely pub converted from a dockside warehouse with lovely views across the River Great Ouse.