A Trip to Hazelwood Marshes with the lure of Spoonbills.

Sandwiched between 2 days at Minsmere (see my " 2 Hot sunny days around the reserve in September." post for the results of that) I went with my wife to Suffolk Wildlife Trusts Hazelwood Marshes Reserve, now we're both retired 3 days of sunshine constitute a holiday. There has been regular sightings of Spoonbills there for quite a while now so we thought it time, on yet another sunny day, to go see for ourselves.

We very soon had distant confirmation of the Spoonbills being about.

At the hide the views were very distant but we were entertained by regular flypasts of Shelduck moving from one side of the marshes to the other as the tide came in.

There have been sightings of Whinchat from the hide and this Female Reed Bunting provided a moments excitement before it popped up into clear view.

The rising tide caused more movement of birds and we had the treat of a flypast of 3 Spoonbills right over the hide. I was able to get outside just as they flew right over us.

On the walk back to the car the tide had pushed the distant birds a bit closer.

After lunch at nearby Aldeburgh we went for an afternoon walk along the River Alde. By the Yacht Club Swallows and House Martins were gathering in the rigging.

Along the river path there were Meadow Pipits flying up ahead of us all the time.

A regal flypast.

One of the Pipits looked different and flashed white as it took off, a Female Wheatear.

Then we found out what kept the birds coming down to the path. Ants?

Ooh, you want my classic pose.

Then off.

The plan then was for Aldeburgh's famous fish and chips, and they are good, but everybody for miles around seemed to have the same idea and we didn't want to wait an hour or more queuing for F&C, so we ended up in nearby Saxmundham for equally good F&C. A fine end to another good day out.

Best Wishes,

Trevor