Large grey wading bird.

So I was driving to Southampton from Portsmouth and about half way I saw a very large black/dark grey bird in a field which I initially thought was a cormorant but it then stood up and it was about the size of a heron if not larger and had none of the markings a heron has and had the same stretchable gullet as a cormorant whilst being twice the size. I searched and it is possible it was black heron but I’ve never seen one of those before. It was very tall with a very long neck definitely not a cormorant. 

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers 

• PimperneBloke said:
    Unless the bee's all die out because of destruction of habitat

Gosh, I hope not but they are declining like so many other creatures;    even on our balcony I have a few pollinator plants like Echinacea but only seen hoverflies and butterflies so far.  The company here that owns the parkland areas are excellent in leaving long grass, wild flowers and planting plants to attract bees and butterflies and they've had some good sightings as the estate manager and team member are very knowledgeable about butterflies especially and ensure lots of areas around are suitable habitat for them along with more tree planting.     Even in apartments we can all do our part to help the bees and other insects so B-friendly everyone and save nature !    

Regards, Hazel 

• I think we are very lucky as far as the way the communal grounds around our flats are cared for the management company recently changed the garden contract and the guys now doing the work seem to have a feeling for the job. We seem to have plenty of pollinaters including good number of bees. So many bees at moment that residents are complaining about all these blooming "wasps " flying around. Of course we have to psy for this with our service charge but we feel it's worth it

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Talking of bees just seen a honey bee on the Echinacea on our balcony so even small planters make a difference on a balcony ! The estate manager has added a long lavender border, foxgloves, lilies, sedum, buddleias as well as the natural wildflowers so it seems to be paying off; as you say the service charge feels certainly worth it. I may add a couple of extra pots next year with more pollinators. It's good to see bee orchids in the grounds too; probably a lot more I haven't found yet so hopefully with new eyes by next year I may find them lol !

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    As Dave says, good research and call Tony and Wendy;

Unless Fionn gets back to us we wont know if this is what she saw. Unfortunately, as you've probably noticed, you never hear back from some people even though you've attempted to answer their question. It's happenend to me on many occasions. Can be rather disheartening.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Unless Fionn gets back to us we wont know if this is what she saw. Unfortunately, as you've probably noticed, you never hear back from some people even though you've attempted to answer their question. It's happenend to me on many occasions. Can be rather disheartening.

Yes, as you say Tony,   it can take quite some time answering questions including a sick bird that we didn't hear what the eventual outcome was although I suspect it didn't survive and hence the lack of update.   Having said this, the website isn't that user friendly for newbies so maybe they just give up when they can't navigate their way back again.      I often think people coming on here for the first time believe this like live chat and expect answers within minutes rather than understanding there may be no forum members looking in for a hour or two or five !     

Regards, Hazel 

• It is the same on other forums I think when people realise that their mega tick is merely a juv Starling or something on those lines they tend to lose interest. Not saying that is the case here but the chances of Fionn re finding the are pretty slim

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• LOL Dave !! yes, one of those chiffblers or willowchiffs !

Regards, Hazel 

• Or one of those LBJ's (which I had to ask, what is that).

Agree totally Hazel, we have lost many regular posters who had great knowledge, such a shame. We will keep on striving to do our bit and help out when we can, a quick look back at a post or a quick Google and a suggested reply.

Yes, many cold cuppa's, you come on here for a quick look and get side tracked, by the time you look at some posts, as it is nearly impossible to read them all, reply or like and try and help someone out, an hour is nothing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.