Mini Beasts or what you see when you look more closely.

Yesterday I went for a walk to the local lake looking for Dragons, Damsels and Butterflies. It was sunny but windy, no Dragons or Damsels and initially no Butterflies which forced me to look more closely into the grass where I saw a lot more.

The first Ladybird I've really noticed this year surprisingly.

A type of Hoverfly I've not seen before with a curly tail end!  According to Google Lens it's a Sphaerophoria Scripta.

Then another Hoverfly known as a Drone Fly and is a Honey Bee mimic.(Credit Google)

Probably a Common Green Grasshopper

Unknown tiny Grasshopper, about 15mm long.

I did eventually see Butterflies.

A tired Speckled Wood

Equally tired Meadow Brown

Once I got my eye in, one a few Common Blue Butterflies helpfully giving me wings up then open.

A tired Common Blue

One of a few Brown Argus.

Then finally a Brown Argus practising it's circus act.

Just need to get my balance.

Then - Ta Dah, wings out, done it at last!

Feel free to add your own Mini Beasts if you want.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Not quite such a small mini-beast this time, this one was nearly 3cm long. Talking to a friend in the garden they suddenly said what's that and pointed at the ground. It was a Great Diving Beetle and like the Water Boatman from the other day probably from our pond and also like before on the other side of the house from the pond. It headed across our lawn through our hedge and away, the next source of water being the local mini-lake or pond nearly half a mile away. It has a reputation as a fearsome predator so the other residents of our pond are probably pleased to see the back of it.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Last time I had one of these was at my moth trap a couple of years back ... put it in my pond then found out how it ate all manner of critters so had to catch it again & turn it loose elsewhere!