Mini Beasts or what you see when you look more closely.

Yesterday I went for a walk to the local lake looking for Dragons, Damsels and Butterflies. It was sunny but windy, no Dragons or Damsels and initially no Butterflies which forced me to look more closely into the grass where I saw a lot more.

The first Ladybird I've really noticed this year surprisingly.

A type of Hoverfly I've not seen before with a curly tail end!  According to Google Lens it's a Sphaerophoria Scripta.

Then another Hoverfly known as a Drone Fly and is a Honey Bee mimic.(Credit Google)

Probably a Common Green Grasshopper

Unknown tiny Grasshopper, about 15mm long.

I did eventually see Butterflies.

A tired Speckled Wood

Equally tired Meadow Brown

Once I got my eye in, one a few Common Blue Butterflies helpfully giving me wings up then open.

A tired Common Blue

One of a few Brown Argus.

Then finally a Brown Argus practising it's circus act.

Just need to get my balance.

Then - Ta Dah, wings out, done it at last!

Feel free to add your own Mini Beasts if you want.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• TJS said:
    Sphaerophoria Scripta.

That's easy for you to say!!

I always think it's quite refreshing to go out on a deliberate mini beast hunt, rather than always birding...also I find I don't walk as far when looking so closely,  so my feet don't ache lol There's been a definite lack of Speckled Woods around here this year compared to previous, but a massive amount more of Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals

Thanks for sharing, Trevor

• Thanks PB,

I've seen loads of Red Admirals and Peacocks this year, a few Small Tortoiseshell and a few Speckled Wood like the mint condition one below.

All the Best,

Trevor

• Ohh, you show off... I'm surprised you didn't stick a Dartford Warbler, Mandarin Duck and Dipper in there for good measure lol Rolling eyesJoyJoy

• I'm tempted but it might take quite a while to dig up a Mandarin Duck pictureDuck, I've not seen one for quite a while.
    Trevor
  • Beautiful photos Trevor and detail; I'll trade you a Brown Argus for a mandarin -  just don't ask for a drake as they are going into eclipse    LOL  

• A nice selection of mini beast Trevor.

Ladybirds have been quite scarce here as well, but then so have many flying insects, which I put down to the incessant cloud and damp stuff.

• An update with something seen much closer to home, in the conservatory to be precise. Something on the floor attracted the attention of our cat then it flew about and landed on the floor. Even looking at it I wasn't sure what it was so I got the clear plastic yogurt pot and card I have handy for rescuing UFI's and other things from conservatory and captured it. Then I got the camera ready and it allowed me a couple a pictures before flying off.

First thoughts on looking at it was Water Boatman but what was it doing in the conservatory.

Here it is posing on the card used to rescue it.

Although our pond is on the other side of the house from the conservatory I had been clearing out a bit blanket weed which I left on the side of the pond so I assume it may have hitched a ride on me round to the conservatory.

I now have a positive ID of it as Notonecta Glauca or Common Back Swimmer or Water Boatman. I took it to the pond edge and when it took off it went straight away from the pond over a hedge and disappeared.

I've never seen one out of a pond let alone flying before, although I do realise they don't appear in ponds by magic, just never witnessed an arrival or departure.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• TJS said:
    what was it doing in the conservatory

I reckon it's leaking!!

Lovely pics, and fine details, never seen one other than in the middle of a pond, so fascinating to look closely at, thanks for sharing :o)

• I should have added, I've never seen one that way up before either.Grinning

Trevor

• Lovely close-up photos Trevor.

I find it incredible how many mini-beasts we have in this country, and like moths, hard to list and categorise every single species.