• Very interesting; thanks Linda.

Have seen Crag Martins do the same to Sprawks, attempting to pull out tail feathers (but only seen with my eyes, not with one of those new fangled "camera" thingies).

Dave
  • Interesting article, I often hoped the Pippit would fight back !!

Lot to learn

• Come on you Pipits !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Come on you Pipits !!

Followed by massed waves of "Pi-pi-its; Pi-pi-its".

(And scarf waving.)

(But I'm actually very fond of Cuckoos.)

• David and Goliath!

Its fascinating the extents some creatures will go to to protect their nests and young. Thanks for sharing Linda.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• On an inter-species David And Goliath note, I vividly recall (even now, many years later) watching a pair of Blackbirds executing repeated "bombing runs" on two young cats who were hunting their recently fledged young, thoroughly living up to their name of Turdus. (I say "watching", but mean I saw it while executing impromptu rugby tackles on said cats, which were then grounded for the week).

It was absolutely fearless, and was done at very real risk to the adult birds' own lives.

But the genes were meant to pass on, and the young birds (thankfully) lived to peck another day.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

On an inter-species David And Goliath note, I vividly recall (even now, many years later) watching a pair of Blackbirds executing repeated "bombing runs" on two young cats who were hunting their recently fledged young, thoroughly living up to their name of Turdus. (I say "watching", but mean I saw it while executing impromptu rugby tackles on said cats, which were then grounded for the week).

It was absolutely fearless, and was done at very real risk to the adult birds' own lives.

But the genes were meant to pass on, and the young birds (thankfully) lived to peck another day.

I have seen a single magpie attack a cat in our garden. I will add that magpie was a parent of two youngsters that were also feeding in the garden around the same time.

Taken from a post I shared last year: "Menacing Magpie for hire!" https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/208106/menacing-magpie-for-hire/1301850#1301850

Magpie challenges a cat

One of our regular magpies decides to challenge a cat!

https://youtu.be/GO7XuR5gEck

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Super links Mike.

I've seen the same with Magpies, in particular two tag-teaming a cat on a wall. I'd swear one of them got its tail at some point. 

Needless to say, after a while the cat left.

All the best -

Dave 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

Super links Mike.

I've seen the same with Magpies, in particular two tag-teaming a cat on a wall. I'd swear one of them got its tail at some point. 

Needless to say, after a while the cat left.

All the best -

Dave 

Thanks Dave.

Sadly the trailcam never caught the moment the magpie actually got on to the cats back and pecked at the cat!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I was just watching a lecture by Professor Nicholas Davies FRS on YouTuve about cuckoos, it goes over all of the early science and studies that were done on the cuckoos.
    I learnt that Aristotle had a fascination with them and did a bit of describing of them, quite cool.
    Heres the link: www.youtube.com/watch