Unidentified Bird

Hi everyone,

I was rewatching some trail camera footage and in a video which I saved because of a pair of robins, there was a small bird with an insect in front of the camera, I've done some looking and think its a grasshopper warbler but if anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful.

• perhaps a willow warbler?

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Do you know of Grasshopper Warblers in your area? I have heard them but never managed to catch sight.
    The one thing I have noticed is that your warbler does seem to have a decent bill on it and a fair eye stripe. Could it be a Reed Warbler?

Cin J

• just bumping this thread back up as I would still like to know what bird it is

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• In reply to Linda257:

I just listened to a video of a Willow Warbler and it sounds familiar, the eye stripe and pattern at the end of the wings also lines up.
    Good thinking :)
  • In reply to Germain:

I've never seen a grasshopper warbler around my place, nor a reed warbler.
    Linda suggested Willow Warbler and the song sounds familiar.
    The trouble is with warblers is that all of the photos and illustrations look pretty much similar. they're all kind of just the same but slightly different plumage, buggers to definitively ID.
  • I've read (from the UK) that warblers are best identified by their calls and songs.

I did this (with a Sedge Warbler, and in Switzerland) only to be told (by the Swiss verification committee, for whom I have the utmost respect) that they can only be reliably identified by appearance.

I ran the above by a friend of ours here in Switzerland, a retired teacher and biologist engaged (among other things) in a complex habitat improvement project, which has now taken on national significance, and he told me that he has a friend in France who can identify most if not all European warblers by their calls and songs.

Once the whole world has sorted out "vaccine passports" and the like, perhaps we could invite the warblers to join, and one of the great mysteries of our time (warbler identification) can be put to bed for good.

Off to comfort the cats. It's 1 August here (almost; already), and despite bans we appear to be the firework capital of the canton. 

All the best - 

Dave