Bempton Cliffs from the sea on the Yorkshire Belle. Part 1

After a couple of days on the cliff tops at Bempton we went on an RSPB Puffins and Gannets cruise out from Bridlington on the Yorkshire Belle. Covid restrictions meant it wasn't totally full and it was a very calm day, if a bit cloudy. Our previous visits have been too early in the year for the boat trips so we were very much looking forward to this one.

We were told that many of the Auks had headed back out to sea and there weren't that many passing close to the boat

A couple of Puffins

Followed by a couple Razorbills.

A Shag.

Gannet on it's long take off run.

Guillemots

A posing Puffin.

Then one of the spotters on the top deck said they'd seen the Albatross, so off we went for a closer look.

With the calm sea the boat could drift along side the Albatross and watch as it preened.

Not forgetting the distant relative a Fulmar posing beautifully.

Then the long process of getting airborne.

What had disturbed the Albatross and all the other birds was the appearance of a Great Skua. I was on the wrong part of the boat to get a clear shot but it does tell the story.

I had thought I had been lucking getting the distant shots of the Black-browed Albatross from the cliffs but this was incredible and what I've shared is only a few of the pictures taken. Also previous boat trips hadn't seen it.

Then it was back to what the trip was supposed to be about, diving Gannets, I'll post the results of that in Part 2

• TJS said:
    I really feel I've had one of my best (and luckiest) years wildlife watching ever, All the extra time practicing since retiring seems to be the key and my wife Trish has now joined me in retirement and we do enjoy wildlife watching together.

So lovely to hear that you and Trish now have more time in retirement to enjoy the great outdoors and wildlife together with many more sightings and adventures to come;  you are certainly bringing us back lots of wonderful photos and stories so many thanks and keep 'em coming :)    

• What a fabulous day and boat trip, and as always, such clear photos Trevor.

And how could you?

Yes, omit any acknowledgement to Mrs Trevor!

I bet life was close to mud after that omission.....