Long awaited trip to Bempton Cliffs.

We've visited Bempton 3 times before, always in early April, now we have finally got to visit at a different time of year at last. Not the hoped for June visit, that will have to wait until next year now.

This late in the season the Auks had thinned out quite a bit, but the Gannets were still at their splendid best along with the Kittiwakes and Fulmars, plus we heard just before we went that there was a chance of seeing the returned Black-browed Albatross. 

Here's what we saw.

The Black-browed Albatross was pointed out straight away, on the left of the Gannets and some way off.

My success rate with Fulmars is getting better after 3 years practicing birds in flight with the same camera.

Do Gannets have to eat their greens as well?

Gannet chicks getting large and fluffy.

Not sure what's going on here, they didn't appear to eat the flowers.

Then somebody spotted the Albatross below us flying around the Gannetry.

More Fulmars.

A trip to Bempton wouldn't be complete without a Tree Sparrow.

One of the few Puffins I saw on the cliffs, about to be pushed off by some Guillemots

Kittiwake and chick.

One of very few Razorbills we saw.

Herring Gull with chicks.

There were still plenty of Guillemots.

Young Gannet and Kittiwake.

The only Puffin I got in flight, sadly no Sand Eels.

3 Harbour Seals?

What are you looking at?

Then a special moment, the Gannets found a shoal of fish just off the cliffs and not way out at sea for a change.

Dispute with neighbours.

The pictures were taken over a couple of days, and it was very hot until the breeze got up.

The next day was spent on the water at the base of the cliffs on an RSPB boat trip from Bridlington, I'll post the results of that later.

Best Wishes,

Trevor