Long awaited trip to Bempton Cliffs.

We've visited Bempton 3 times before, always in early April, now we have finally got to visit at a different time of year at last. Not the hoped for June visit, that will have to wait until next year now.

This late in the season the Auks had thinned out quite a bit, but the Gannets were still at their splendid best along with the Kittiwakes and Fulmars, plus we heard just before we went that there was a chance of seeing the returned Black-browed Albatross. 

Here's what we saw.

The Black-browed Albatross was pointed out straight away, on the left of the Gannets and some way off.

My success rate with Fulmars is getting better after 3 years practicing birds in flight with the same camera.

Do Gannets have to eat their greens as well?

Gannet chicks getting large and fluffy.

Not sure what's going on here, they didn't appear to eat the flowers.

Then somebody spotted the Albatross below us flying around the Gannetry.

More Fulmars.

A trip to Bempton wouldn't be complete without a Tree Sparrow.

One of the few Puffins I saw on the cliffs, about to be pushed off by some Guillemots

Kittiwake and chick.

One of very few Razorbills we saw.

Herring Gull with chicks.

There were still plenty of Guillemots.

Young Gannet and Kittiwake.

The only Puffin I got in flight, sadly no Sand Eels.

3 Harbour Seals?

What are you looking at?

Then a special moment, the Gannets found a shoal of fish just off the cliffs and not way out at sea for a change.

Dispute with neighbours.

The pictures were taken over a couple of days, and it was very hot until the breeze got up.

The next day was spent on the water at the base of the cliffs on an RSPB boat trip from Bridlington, I'll post the results of that later.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Every time someone comes back from Bempton Cliffs it moves higher up the "Must Visit" list!! Superb set Trevor. The flowery ones were obviously in trouble with missus, and looking for appeasement gifts!! And that Puffin was about to give the Razorbills a piece of its mind!!
    I can't pick a favourite, but the Gannet staring down the lens is up there :o)
    Thanks for sharing
  • Great set of photos Trevor, lucky you seeing the Albatros, its all about timing. Some terrific clear shots of all the birds. We were there end of May so no eggs or chicks and no sign of any Gannets fishing, always such a wonderful sight.
  • A stunning set of photos Trevor, and nice to see the puffins are still there.

Bempton is on my list, but I doubt it'll be this year.

• Hi Mike,
    The Puffins will be gone any day now for another year, from my experience they'll start coming back late March to early April.
    The best time to go would be April for nest building, May/June for eggs and chicks and June or early July for fledglings.
    My wife and I hope to be there next June.
    Good luck with getting a trip together next year.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,

The Puffins will be gone any day now for another year, from my experience they'll start coming back late March to early April.
    The best time to go would be April for nest building, May/June for eggs and chicks and June or early July for fledglings.
    My wife and I hope to be there next June.
    Good luck with getting a trip together next year.
    Trevor

Thanks Trevor, that is one reason why I'm not making any rush moves to make the journey. I could make the drive (around 3 hrs each way) there and back within the day.

• It's at least a 4 and a half hour trip for us, more like 5 or 6 with breaks, so it's always an away trip, alhough we have stopped there for a day or two on the long haul up to Scotland.
    The birds are active all day but the light, as always, is best first and last thing.
    Trevor
  • The coast around Bempton is our nearest spot for breeding seabirds about an hour and a half on a good day but when the bulk of the birds are on the cliffs it does get quite crowded even more so with Albert visiting the area. Over the years we have discovered some quieter areas where we can still see the birds but I must admit there is something very special about the great numbers of birds you see at Bempton with the Gannets taking pride of place. It is good that loads of folk are getting to see the Albatross not as bird you see every day.
  • Wonderful set of photos and a place that is on the to visit list.
  • Superb photos Trevor, love the diving sequence and also great to see the Albatross, and the Fulmar are always a treat to see, glad you didn't miss out the Tree Sparrow, what a cracking photo.
  • TJS said:
    It's at least a 4 and a half hour trip for us, more like 5 or 6 with breaks, so it's always an away trip, alhough we have stopped there for a day or two on the long haul up to Scotland.

The birds are active all day but the light, as always, is best first and last thing.
    Trevor

If I recall correctly, you're a lot further south than I am, so the journey time seems reasonable.