RSPB Burton Mere with Hazel & Mike

• Certainly was lovely to finally meet up with you Mike and a good day was had by us all. Lovely set of photos bringing back yesterday's adventure around the reserve. Those Martins and Swallows were such a lovely sight at the end of our long day and looks like they had a good breeding season with so many youngsters on the wires.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• POST EDIT

For those who have seen Hazel's post, you can read it here in Hazel's post in Odds & Sods 2021, and I strongly recommend you do,  there is a cracking short video.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/275513/odds-sods-2021/1358117#1358117

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Nice set of photos Mike, I particularly like the way the Lapwing is carefully watching the G.W . Egret coming in to land in case it fails to land in the proper place!! Lovely Swallow and Martin shots too.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

gaynorsl said:
    Nice set of photos Mike, I particularly like the way the Lapwing is carefully watching the G.W . Egret coming in to land in case it fails to land in the proper place!! Lovely Swallow and Martin shots too.

Thank you Gaynor.

I think if something was soaring over my head, and zooming in to land at close proximity, I too would be keeping a watchful eye...

The swallows and martins, I was just awestruck with the numbers. I think the last time I saw so many was as a child, and that is too many years back to mention.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• It certainly was a lovely way to end the day Mike and good to know we have a few more hirundines this year to add to the dwindling numbers.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    It certainly was a lovely way to end the day Mike and good to know we have a few more hirundines this year to add to the dwindling numbers.

It was.

To have a sand martin (mistakenly described as a juv swallow) as a first for me was an added bonus. Both post have been rectified accordingly to reflect sand martin.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• More great pictures Mike a lovely selection of Hirundines and that bird rising from the water is spot on.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    More great pictures Mike a lovely selection of Hirundines and that bird rising from the water is spot on.

Thank you Pete.

I did get a little carried away with the Hirundine's, but it was worth it.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• As Hazel and Mike will know, there was a wasps nest at the entrance to the Marsh Covert Hide, which I understand has had to be closed for the time being.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Just a quick update for those who may be interested, it appears Burton Mere has a Long-billed Dowitcher.

I'm not sure if Hazel and Mike will recall the chap in the Bunker Hide thought he'd seen a red something or other, I don't fully recall what he'd said, or something like that. Looking at the photos posted it is in the same spot that we'd seen something similar.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler