Astbury Mere, Cheshire

With another beautiful day on the cards we took a short 20 minute drive to Astbury Mere in Cheshire.     It's quite a busy path around the mereside with visitors, dog walkers, joggers and there were a few kids events out on the water and also on shore so we managed to get the first half hour in before it got busy but then spent more time doing a 2nd circuit of the lake.    Was really enjoyable and quite a few birds around despite many visitors on the waterside path.

I took a photo on the iPhone of the mere itself to give you an idea of how large it is......

First bird seen was a beautiful Song Thrush perched nicely in a tree not far from the car park.....

a pair of Mute Swans had 4 young cygnets with them and later we met them again at the far side of the mere  !

a male Blackcap was in full voice as we started our circuit of the mere .......

obscured by twigs and leaves this very young blue tit was being fed by its parents .....

and another family of blue tits further up the path;    good to know some broods were successful after such an awful May

and a fluffy house sparrow .........

Great crested Grebe was out on the mere,  paired up but no humbugs seen 

and back came the Swan family with these 4 gorgeous cygnets .............

lots of young water birds including lots of young Coots ...............

you've got to love those green-grey feet on this adult Coot   !!! 

A young Long tailed tit 

Another Song Thrush singing from the top of bare tree 

lots of blackbirds around ...

A beady eyed Woodpigeon looked down from a tree .....

more woodpigeons in the air circling around ............

Chiffchaff possibly ?

More lollipops ........    looking worn out after their breeding season 

dark legs so maybe a young Chiffchaff ?      

A robin appeared and looked as if it was waiting for food but sadly I didn't have any mealworms left :(

a very friendly robin who stayed just 2 metres away and plonked itself down in front of me to do a spot of sunning   !!

totally relaxed robin    !! 

thinking Reed Warbler for this one  ?

• Lovely photos Hazel and the mere looks like Bodenham Lake (nr Hereford), which I visited early this year.

The young of 2021 are growing up fast, something I noticed yesterday while out and about.

• Really fabulous photos Hazy, so many young around too, the cygnets very special. You were priviledged to get the Robin sunbathing like that in front of you, wonderful, also all the various warblers, really clear photos, the mere is enormous, they would call it an inland sea here!!