Getting reacquainted with Burton Mere Wetlands

Now we are getting used to more freedom and venturing out and about again we cranked the car into gear again and headed off to Burton Mere Wetlands rspb on the Wirral which now takes 20 minutes longer to get to since we moved but still around an hour's journey which is within very easy range.    Weather wasn't quite as sunny as promised but we arrived there at 9.30am and the sun did appear now and again and it remained nice and warm.    Here are the birds we saw although there were many more waders and other waterfowl including L.Egret, Gadwall, Shelduck, Coots, Moorhens, even a Bittern which we missed seeing by ten minutes as it flew from Inner Marsh Farm area towards the screen area by the boardwalk.     Many improvements have been made during lockdown including a smart new hide at IMF and new boardwalk making it accessible for disabled visitors.     Was a lovely and long overdue visit and we'll try get back very soon for another enjoyable day.

First of all we saw Common Whitethroats as we walked along the boardwalk;    all photos were taken with the lighter to carry Canon 100-400 x 1.4  lens and 7DmkII

the light was lovely first thing and I tried to remember to not crop every photo down to give a different overall feel to the photo as learned from Paul A's beautiful photos !!

then old habits kicked in and I cropped   LOL

the Sedge Warblers singing away from the top of the reeds - as they do !      Sadly I couldn't get an angle without the stick running past the facial area !

(I did see a Cetti's Warbler and it was perched for 8 whole seconds on top of a twig but sadly not long enough for me to get a photo !!)

trying to restrain myself from cropping again    LOL 

a Wren was also singing in the same area .....

a flock of Black-tailed Godwits were seen from the bridge screen area 

a hovering female Kestrel was seen over the wildlife field area although a little too distant for detailed shots 

one minute blue sky, next grey clouds  !  

a pretty Goldfinch landed conveniently in a nearly tree on bare twig 

a Chiffchaff was already there and looked like it had found an insect supply trapped in spider web strands !

Common Whitethroat joined them ......

and I nearly fell of my perch laughing when I saw the Dunnock who was having a very bad hair feather day   LOL   

a bit more preening and drying off required but he was happy enough singing away announcing he'd had a bath  !! .....

the elegant Avocets were seen from the Marsh Covert Hide    

and that's about it for now folks,   thanks for viewing.

• Nice bunch of photos Hazel, Burton Mere was going to be part of a weekend away our bird club was organising three years ago unfortunately as often seems to happen these days I was not well enough to go and Chris, bless her, stayed at home to mop my fevered brow so she missed out as well.
  • Many thanks Pete, I'm sorry you missed out on your chance to get to BMW three years ago and hope you can organise a visit in the future, health issues permitting. We've been away so long from reserves it felt really strange to be back again and notice how much of the vegetation has grown as maintenance had to be reduced due to the pandemic and lockdowns, however, there were a large number of birds and the sounds were really wonderful to hear both from waterfowl and other birds. Does help to reduce stress levels now that we are able to enjoy the great outdoors and nature again :) Would be lovely to meet up with you and Chris one day at one of these wonderful reserves so keep as well as you can and get your to visit list ready !!!
  • Fabulous photos Hazel and grey clouds or not, it looked like you had a good day.

The bittern has been very active there with quite a few sightings, not for me though. The avocets seem to be more than comfortable when I was there back in May, and the Marsh Hide has a pretty damned good viewing vista.

The way the screens and hides are set up makes for easy viewing of many species, and particularly there warbler collection.

I'm itching to make a return visit, poss end of June or early July, weather and commitments permitting.

This retirement malarkey isn't what I expected, too few empty spaces in the diary, too many events cropping up! Joy

Pete, if you get the chance again to visit Burton Mere, grab it.

• Love the chiffchaff larder, and Scraggy McDunnock!! Thanks for sharing what looks to have been a fab day out
  • Thanks Pete, Mike and PB

Michael B said:
    The way the screens and hides are set up makes for easy viewing of many species, and particularly there warbler collection.

I was impressed with the new screen, boardwalk and hide replacement at Inner Marsh Farm and glad all people can now access it now.     We'll be at Leighton Moss rspb (Silverdale) from Monday 21st June for 4 days so can't wait to rediscover our old haunt and meet up with Ann and Mr.GB.   

If you head back to Burton Mere for another recce let us know Mike and we'll try make it the same day assuming you want a meet and greet  LOL   

• Lovely selection of shots as always, Hazel. Sedge Warblers rarely ever come out in the open for me, and I've yet to see an Avocet.
  • Lovely to see your photos Hazy, from the Whitethroats to Sedge Warblers and scruffy Dunnock they tell the story of a good day out.
  • Unknown said:

Thanks Pete, Mike and PB

Michael B said:

I was impressed with the new screen, boardwalk and hide replacement at Inner Marsh Farm and glad all people can now access it now.     We'll be at Leighton Moss rspb (Silverdale) from Monday 21st June for 4 days so can't wait to rediscover our old haunt and meet up with Ann and Mr.GB.   

If you head back to Burton Mere for another recce let us know Mike and we'll try make it the same day assuming you want a meet and greet  LOL   

Yes, it would be nice to put a face to the name. We're about to go through a dull and possibly wet spell of weather generally, often happens around the longest day period of June, plus I've a few commitments, I won't be there before you return from Silverdale.

Marsh Hide has certainly been well done out, with plenty of space covering quite a wide aspect of water.

Enjoy Silverdale and I look forward to the photos. 

• Thanks Mike, I have connected via the PM system so hopefully it will allow me to send a note at some stage with contact detail; didn't allow me to do that yet !
  • Unknown said:
    Thanks Mike, I have connected via the PM system so hopefully it will allow me to send a note at some stage with contact detail; didn't allow me to do that yet !

Thumbsup