The Young of 2021 share your photos here

Last year, Monkey cheese started the thread off for 2020, the link is here:

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/207284/the-young-of-2020

As 2021 is progressing, and there are young out there, I couldn't see 2021 thread, so I hope MC or anyone else doesn't mind, I'll start the 2021 thread. if there is one already, please correct me and place the link in a reply.

Mr & Mrs CG with family.....

• Hazel those Heron chicks are so prehistoric looking more like Jurassic Park than the UK we've not had chance to check Heronries locally but others will be doing it hopefully. We do not seem to have much happening in the nests here at home, plenty of song and display but not seen any food being carried to nests.
  • Wendy S said:
    Hazel those Heron chicks are so prehistoric looking more like Jurassic Park than the UK we've not had chance to check Heronries locally but others will be doing it hopefully. We do not seem to have much happening in the nests here at home, plenty of song and display but not seen any food being carried to nests

The heron juveniles do make me smile when I see them  - very strange looking birds !       We are lucky to have three chaps  (two of whom worked fon the science labs a few years ago and one who is estate manager)  and who have put in a lot of effort to create pathways around the woodland a few years back, enhance habitat for waterfowl and ground nesting birds,  add bat, raptor, bird boxes and also monitor the heronry and parkland birds.     I am lucky enough to meet them now and again including last week when I met the county recorder.    They are generous in their time and knowledge and in return I can report anything of interest that I see.   We have seen around a dozen bird boxes in use,  one of which is the Nuthatch pair.     Sadly no raptors using the dedicated boxes that we know of although there are barn/tawny owls in the immediate area.     Certainly enough wildlife activity to keep us happy just on the parkland although we are relatively new to this area so a lot more to explore  !       

• They certainly seem to be caring for your new area Hazel some areas get neglected when so much could be done to help wildlife. Exploring a new area can be great fun so much to learn as you go around. I think many people have learnt to appreciate their local areas so much more since they were grounded by the pandemic. Hopefully more pressure will be put on authorities to preserve our wonderful landscape where needed. That's me on my soap box again bombing somebodies thread !!
  • We saw our first Avocet chicks of the year yesterday at RSPB Boyton Marshes, while we were there we met somebody from the BTO who told us the lagoon the birds were using had recently been provided with electric fencing because of the very high level of predation of the chicks from foxes and others. The chicks were only a few days old.

Trevor

How many legs can you see under the adult?

• We have fledglings surprisingly as our weather has been atrocious not had a dry day for weeks robins blackbirds coal tits finches among others my feeders are full of youngsters cat is on full lockdown can’t get decent pictures as the rain and hailstones are immense We even have some young red squirrels out and about too
  • Nice to see this thread getting busy.

Sadly the weather hasn't really leant much to getting out or photography, but a very recent visit to Burton Mere and this family was parading nicely around.

• I like that one Mike with that light even the wire fence looks good. It's been pretty wet here too swith heavy rain all last night and today so riverside fields looking bad for some nesters. It has been a good day to catch up on entering some of the sightings onto our database rather than leaving it to the last minute.
  • Our House Sparrows have now fledged are are being fed by mum, and there lots of them about the garden.

Trevor

• My 2021 update; SUCCESSFUL!! I’ve just come back in from the garden to report that at least 1 of the Blue Tit chicks has FLEDGED! and from what I can hear there’s at least one very loud one still in the box.

The Fledgling is a nice big size and is being fed caterpillars, sitting on the branches near it’s box, with its sibling(s) still being tended to as well.

After so many reports of unsuccessful efforts by many garden birds this season, I am grinning from ear to ear and feeling proud of “my” little brood.

Also have a flock of house sparrows visiting the feeders everyday now since 2 weeks, and the black bird fledglings from around Easter are getting bigger and darker by the day.
    Last week there was a Blackcap in out tree and the Greenfinches grab a quick breakfast before the Sparrows elbow them out of the way.

They have cost me a small fortune in feed and mealworms, but definitely worth it!

P.S; thanks everyone for welcoming me, I’m only sorry that I don’t have any great pictures atm, hopefully that will change soon!
  • Poss mallard, poss gadwall, it was too far away and the photo is heavily cropped, taking the brood for a wander into the next pool.

I find it fascinating how the parents of young take their youngsters around the area, not just for feeding, but I guess to help familiarise them with their surroundings.

The Mute Swan family

and the Canada Geese family

A coot with one youngster. There was o signs of any other coot young in the immediate area, so my guess is this is the only survivor.

Another Canada Goose family outing....

and this pair of juvenile brown rats....

The Egyptian Geese family

and an afternoon paddle for the youngsters.....

More Canada Gees family outings....