The Young of 2021 share your photos here

• Our House Sparrows have now fledged are are being fed by mum, and there lots of them about the garden.

Trevor

• In reply to FlynnB:

My 2021 update; SUCCESSFUL!! I’ve just come back in from the garden to report that at least 1 of the Blue Tit chicks has FLEDGED! and from what I can hear there’s at least one very loud one still in the box.

The Fledgling is a nice big size and is being fed caterpillars, sitting on the branches near it’s box, with its sibling(s) still being tended to as well.

After so many reports of unsuccessful efforts by many garden birds this season, I am grinning from ear to ear and feeling proud of “my” little brood.

Also have a flock of house sparrows visiting the feeders everyday now since 2 weeks, and the black bird fledglings from around Easter are getting bigger and darker by the day.
    Last week there was a Blackcap in out tree and the Greenfinches grab a quick breakfast before the Sparrows elbow them out of the way.

They have cost me a small fortune in feed and mealworms, but definitely worth it!

P.S; thanks everyone for welcoming me, I’m only sorry that I don’t have any great pictures atm, hopefully that will change soon!
  • Poss mallard, poss gadwall, it was too far away and the photo is heavily cropped, taking the brood for a wander into the next pool.

I find it fascinating how the parents of young take their youngsters around the area, not just for feeding, but I guess to help familiarise them with their surroundings.

The Mute Swan family

and the Canada Geese family

A coot with one youngster. There was o signs of any other coot young in the immediate area, so my guess is this is the only survivor.

Another Canada Goose family outing....

and this pair of juvenile brown rats....

The Egyptian Geese family

and an afternoon paddle for the youngsters.....

More Canada Gees family outings....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I reckon the duck is a mallard, and they are going walkabout as they are fresh out of the nest and trying to locate water.

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:

I reckon the duck is a mallard, and they are going walkabout as they are fresh out of the nest and trying to locate water.

Thank you for Robbo for the confirmation.

My first thoughts were mallard, as for the water, they'd just left water which was a couple of metres to their left of the photo, just out of view, which is why I thought its a good opportunity for mum to help them explore and learn what their surrounds are.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Sounds a bit irresponsible of the mallard. Off to meet the local crows, herons and gulls.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Sounds a bit irresponsible of the mallard. Off to meet the local crows, herons and gulls.

Especially with such a young brood, and the crows are very prominent, having predated the avocet nests early May as well!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• An update on the Avocet Chicks from 2 weeks ago, plus some new youngsters.

The numbers seem to be holding up reasonably well, although there are a few missing.

My first Signets of the year at East Lane, Suffolk. They started off on the far side of the lagoon and swam straight towards me and disappeared into the reeds only about 30 feet in front of me.

Best Wishes

Trevor

• We were on a local reserve yesterday and saw a good number of Lapwings with young,40+ breeding pair around I think. Also we saw a couple of pairs of Oystercatchers with young and several pairs still sitting. One of the moorland keepers has reported that there were good numbers of Curlew with young on their moors so things are looking better for these waders.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• First BB youngster captured on trailcam this year