A day out at Minsmere at last.

Last Friday I finally got to spend a day at Minsmere, the first since last November. A beautiful day with clear skies and little wind and not too cold, great hopes for Dartford Warblers and Bearded Tits/Reedlings but not a sight of either. With the hides closed there were not many good views over lagoons and scrapes so I spent my time looking into the reeds for warblers. I was hearing Cetti's Warblers all along the paths and had occasional glimpses of them so I made getting a picture of at least one my target for the day. I found one that was coming to the same tangle of brambles to sing and it was conveniently by a seat, after more than an hour it had scrambled through the brambles to near the top 7 times and on the 6th I finally got an almost clear shot of him (I'm assuming male as he was singing). I had one more brief view of one near the Bittern Hide later. I'll let my photos show what else I encountered.

Mike B, note the number of shots that include unwanted twigs and leaves, at least it gives a reason for going back to try for totally clear shots.

Trevor

Pair of male Gadwalls.

Yellow Wagtail, the second photo confirms the ID but sadly I missed the head.

A pair of Linnets making passing food look like kissing.

This Sedge Warbler popped up while I was listening to a Cetti's nearby.

The result of waiting for over an hour for a brief chance, at least I caught him singing and he was really close, the pictures are hardly cropped.

The only other photo opportunity of a Cetti's.

Male Blackcap in full song