Haywood 16th April

As I said, I would make another visit to Hay Wood, and try a different section. it would be nice to spend a day there, rather than just a couple of hours, but that should come soon.

There was an interesting warped scots pine...

A closer view

And in another tree, not far away, a rather large nest, quite high up. My estimation around 20mtrs up

A zoomed in view

While walking along the widened path, a raptor flew past. Sadly, too many trees around kept taking the A/F, so this was the best shot I got. Looking at the wing tips, my wild guess, peregrine falcon, but I'm open to corrections and suggestions.

Once the raptor had flown past, noise came back to the woodland, and a coal tit made a brief appearance.

Again, the wildlife was high up and very vocal, but not very visible, though I did spot a tree creeper, sneaking around a tree trunk as they do... It was a bit frustrating that whenever the camera managed to focus on the TC, there was a small branch photobombing!

Any guesses on the blossom?

Its not cherry, the next pic shows the tree, the one that is leaning (lazy thing) and being supported by its neighbour

To end the walk, these next three I think are hazel, they have the typical long straight trunks, (though still very juvenile) and branches.

Just across the road from where I'd parked, I noticed the bluebells were starting to show their flowers...

And a final look back up the widened path before heading home

Stay safe folks

• Looks like a good walk and as you say worth a longer visit. Little Treecreepers are even worse than Nuthatches for hiding behind errant twigs.
  • I'm not sure the twigs are errant, Nige, I think these birds have a secret pouch they carry them round in lol
  • It wouldn't surprise me. They are probably telescopic twigs for easy transportation. Female Nutties and TC's probably knit them while sitting on the nest.
  • Nice to see your photos Mike, I thought the blossom was May but then saw the size of the tree, It is a wonder anything is flowering with the night frosts we have each night - up here anyway.
  • Unknown said:
    Looks like a good walk and as you say worth a longer visit. Little Treecreepers are even worse than Nuthatches for hiding behind errant twigs.

Thanks Nige.

I have to agree regarding nuthatches vs tree creepers, though TBH, the nuthatches I generally see have learned hiding is not an option, there's too much food to miss out on when folk pass by and leave bird seed at the feeding stations....

• PimperneBloke said:
    I'm not sure the twigs are errant, Nige, I think these birds have a secret pouch they carry them round in lol

Their conspiracies have finally been unearthed! Joy

• gaynorsl said:
    Nice to see your photos Mike, I thought the blossom was May but then saw the size of the tree, It is a wonder anything is flowering with the night frosts we have each night - up here anyway.

I'm confused, not hard for me when plants are concerned! Joy

I've had a close look at that photo, plus one of our cherry blossom, they are very similar (look the same in my eyes), except, the spread is greater on the woodland blossom than our cherry tree.

The leaf on the photos looks cherry, it was just the fact it was tall and slim whereas cherry trees I've seen seem to spread out more, but that could be due to the high tree canopy.