On the Moor

Just a few photos from a walk on the local moors. On the way up, you pass a few distorted trees.

I think this an Ent (for those of who know their Tolkein)

It's often a good place for Roe deer and this buck just wasn't bothered by the people stopping to look at him

With the best will in the world, he's a bit tatty, but he is mid moult and the barbers have all been closed.

In the woods, I kept hearing a strange song, a bit reminiscent of the Wren's grasshopper alarm call. It took me ages to realise it was a Nuthatch. I didn't know they did that as well as their usual call.

It was the most obliging Nutty I've seen in long while. It knew I was there, but kept posing in different places. You can almost see its tonsils!

No, don't jump - it's peering over the mossy parapet of a bridge

Then, it becomes apparent why it's hanging around the bridge

It's looking after a nest hole between the stones of the bridge ... but it came back up to sing for me ... mind you, they go to the same singing school as Chiffchaffs

• Lovely set Nige, don't think I've seen a Nutty singing, and certainly not seen one perching, and absolutely not one ever in the open, usually in leaf/twig shadow, or halfway round a branch. And I like the b&w Treebeard shots... which is the prevalent wind direction? lol
  • Nice shots Nige it looks a bit like a spot we sometimes visit near our usual moorland area. Great places for a bit of mindfulness no matter what the weather.
  • Super as always Nige and you know am partial to your scenic shots . Nuthatch certainly put on a fab show
    Lucky you!
  • Thanks all
    PB, one of things I found unusual about Nutty was the way he's standing upright. I don't think I've ever seen like that! Obviously been taking singing lessons: chest out, diaphragm in and ... from the heart!
    Pete, I seem to have become more of a fair weather walker as I get older without necessarily realising it. Walking in the rain doesn't really bother me (and my waterproofs are up to the job) but I tend not to start in it anymore. I may have to rectify that. I like landscapes in bad weather!
    Linda, I don't care what bird it is, common or rare, if it poses as well as that, it is special and to be enjoyed! And yes, I remember you even liked my "landscape of nothing".
  • What luck to come across a Nuthatch ready to pose for you, great shots Nigel, I like the buck in the undergrowth too, and the windswept tree, looks rugged countryside.
  • Brilliant photos as always Nige, and a pleasure to view.

I have on rare occasions seen a nutty upright, but more often than not, they're at allsorts of angles.

Windswept trees, always look good, particularly black and white.