Getting a bit further from home with Lockdown Easing

With Stay Local ended I've started going a few miles from home to look for wildlife somewhere a bit different. On Monday I got out with my wife for a walk along the River Deben at Woodbridge for a scene change. The tide was too high most of the time for waders but with the sunny but cold weather there was plenty of small flying insects about and chasing them in the bushes by the river were Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps plus lots of House Martins flying over our heads.

Blackcaps were singing for us.

This bird was darting everywhere chasing flies.

Got one at last.

The Chiffchaffs were also singing a lot.

They also put a lot of time and energy into chasing the little flies

This Wren appeared to be collecting nest material, it disappeared into some Ivy with this beak full.

To finish off, what I assume are some Black-tailed Godwits.

Trevor

• great set of photos, I think quite a number of us are spreading our wings a little further while still staying safe
  • The challenge staying safe is finding somewhere worth going that not too many other people have thought of, probably best to go early and avoid weekends. Luckily I'm retired and my wife works part-time and has Tuesday and Thursday free.
    Trevor
  • Glad you both had a nice day out, lovely pictures again.
  • TJS living out in the edge of the countryside we have no trouble finding quiet places. I don't do mornings as meds seem to be late kicking in but find late afternoons good as most people are heading home. We are lucky enough not to have to rely on reserves for birds, we do some surveys none of which are on reserves, of course lots of folk are not that lucky.
  • Excellent photos especially the warblers chasing insects.
    Ok, I'm not in an at risk category but I must admit, I don't worry overly about so-called busy places - not places good for wildlife anyway. Once you're out of the car park, they invariably aren't THAT busy. I take the view that outside, I'm usually [much] further away from people than I would be, even in the garden where someone else could be just the other side of the fence, and briefly passing people on footpaths can easily be accomplished in most places. Regardless of where I've been, I've been far safer out in the country than anything else I could've done - and far saner as a result (although that could be argued!)
  • Beautiful photos Trevor, I think you have to be pretty quick with the camera button when you not only get the bird but also the flies the bird is after, cracking shots.
  • Our stay local ban lifts tomorrow up here...hooray!!!
    Lovely sharp pics Trevor thanks for sharing Wink
  • Fabulous photos Trevor, and yes, we're all spreading our wings more.

Its not just finding places where you won't see so many people, its also finding places with good viewing points. My two nearest reserves have brilliant hides, but no screens. Between the hides is all thick scrub, great for wildlife, but not for viewing!

Hopefully things in my diary will ease towards the end of the month, and I'll be making some trips further afield.

Linda, great news on your lockdown restrictions lifting very soon. Thumbsup

• Monday was the first day of a weeks holiday (for my wife), here are a few highlights of the few other days we had out, with mixed results bird wise, but generally lovely sunny, if chilly, walks through heath and woodland and by river. Most of the bird activity with the smaller birds has been in the Hawthorn Blossom with them chasing insects, I suspect with the warblers feeding up after their flight over.

Dartford Warbler, one of up to 33 breeding pairs ( I was told this by an NT Warden) on Dunwich Heath.

Skylarks at Dunwich Heath.

My first success of any sort with ascending Skylarks.

Shelducks near at Iken near Snape Maltings.

Wheatear along the tidal part of the River Stour, it was gone before I could try for a second shot.

Goldcrest and female Blackcap darting in and out of the blossom at Flatford Mill.

Enjoy your own personal adventures out with the easing of Lockdown.

Trevor

• I'll give you a tenner if you say that Dartford shot was taken by me, Trevor lol (I'm still waiting for one clearly defined on the gorse top...but preferably with a blue sky lol)
    Another super selection, thanks :o)